The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of Young Magicians! :: Joining (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
I may have overlooked it but I'm not sure. I looked on the site and couldn't find it. Is membership for life? and my other question: "Are you required to attend a ring?"
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Um whoopsie...I found out it says membership is yearly. Thanks for all the no-help-whatsoever guys. Smile
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Sorry nobody came to your aid to answer the question initially. I have been working a lot of shows this week, so this was the first time I checked in. Nice to see someone else is posting. This is usually a pretty quiet part of the Café.

Yes, anyone can join the SYM, but it is nice to try to get together once and awhile with a group of your peers. Down here at our chapter, we bring in various professional magicians to gfive lectures and teach the students. Everybody enjoys it. At almost all the meetings, the students perform as well. Did you check the directory on teh SYM site to see if there is a lcoal chapter near you ?

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Yikes, my fingers are asleep. My first show was at 9:00am this morning, my last was at 8:00 tonight. It has been a long day !

What I meant to type was : Did you check the directory on the SYM site to look for a local chapter to join, or to just attend and check out ?

Sorry for the bad typing !

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
I did check the site but the closest is 30-40 mins drive and with the price of gas I couldn't come too often but once in a while. that's why I asked If you HAD to come.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
In order for me to be an SYM asst. leader and one of the groups mentors, I drive an 85 mile round trip once a month to be at the meeting. There are several of the students who do the same as me. Yes, gas prices are out of sight (we are up to $3.50 @ gallon here). That's why we went and got a Prius. It has really helped our family keep the fuel issue down and helped to put money where it is needed more.

When I was teenager, I used to travel a 200 mile round trip once a week from Alabama to Nashville,TN to study trumpet with a phenominal trumpet teacher at the university. It was a long drive, and my dad complained about the gas, but he still drove me there and back. Was it worth it ? Well, today, 30 years later, I make half my income playing trumpet at night for local theaters, country clubs, churches, and special events.

The other half of my income is from magic shows done in the daylight hours. Although my night time work schedule does not always permit it, I try to drive the same trip I mentioned above once a month to be at the adult magic meeting, which is held in the evening, hence my inability to always attend (gotta work, gotta pay the bills !).

To be a member of the SYM, one does not have to attend the meetings, but going to them will definitely put you in a circle of friends that are supportive and looking towards similar goals as yourself.

The bottom line is you get out of something what you put into it.

If you want to be a professional magician, then immerse yourself in magic and try to get to as many functions as you can where other magicians will be congregating. They have much to offer.

Good luck, and try to keep a positive attitude! It will help you continue to move forward to get what you want in this life.

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Exactly my thoughts. I want to be immersed in magic as much as possible I practice every day. I go on the forum every day. I alwyas try to go to twin cities magic and costume when I can. Im even attempting to go to the lecture they are having in April. I will make effort and stay positive. Thanks for the advice.

Kurt "Alan" Kopatich
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Greetings,

My son is interested in joining a magic club but he is only 12 years old. Can he become a member, also he is from the Philippines.

Thanks a lot!

Sal / Chubster
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
The application says ages 7-17