The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: 20th Century Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Just keep in mind that 20th Century Silks (gimmicked or ungimmicked) is not just for kid's shows. I use it as a signature piece in my Gospel Show set to the Biblical Story of the Prodigal Son. It is truly a case where the effect helps illustrate the incredible story of God's grace and love if you are into performing Christian Magic. Just wanted to point out that there are many uses for this - that is why it is a true classic.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I purchased a set from P and A silks at magi fest when I was 13. I was a young lad just getting into magic, and Peter and his wife were really excited to offer me advice tip etc on caring for them. They are great people, and I would deffinatley recommend getting in touch with them.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
20th Century Silks is simply something that belongs in every pro's tool box. There certainly are differences in quality. Catch a silk lecture sometime and we will explore that difference.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I used to make a set that had several parts. A silk, a bra, and shorts, and used the same outer silks for each deal.
The silk I vanish most always was an 18" which I vanish with a cane.
Here is a 20th Century show from October. It wqas a red ribbon week theme (anti drug).
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/main/memb......y_silks/
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magic Ian,

I had forgotten about Silk to Cane as the vanish. Why not! Great idea!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I have used the 20th Century for 30 plus years now. Always plays great no matter if I use it as a patter trick or put it to music of which I do now in my new show. Can't even remember who I got mine from, Abbot's I think. Need to get a new one soon as this one is getting worn. Nothing worse than seeing a magician use old worn out ticks.....wait that is how I got my new show..Lol. I have looked at the P an A and the SKS and they are beautiful.

Steven
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Pete White always made a great product. His wife did the rolled hems on his silks.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Bob I actually like the silk to cane vanish and have put it in my routine. I use a fast paced music and it fits really well. I saw Jeff McBrides video about using the cane and tried to do it the way he described but the cane I am using was not going fast enough or I was not doing the move right, which is most likely the case. So I now use the snap open move to vanish the silk and it gives the routine that little extra pop. I was not able to veiw the entire video, I think my browser is stopping the loading. But I will keep trying and see if I can get it to work.

Steven
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The video link I provided seems to have changed their access, now you have to sign in as a member to view it.
I will change the location shortly so the link works.

Posted: Nov 28, 2008 5:45pm
Corrected Link
http://magicians.podbean.com/20th-century-silks/
shows the silk to cane...
watch the kids face and listen to the crowd.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Magicians...Thank you for your help with my questions and the great links. I have a new way of presenting the silk used in the vanish. Please forgive me, as I have been out of magic for sometime now, I did not know of your work with canes and silks. I am going to be getting your lecture dvd later this month. It is something that really intrests me, the silks and canes and their presentations. I came from the....date myself here...old school when canes and silks were used a lot. Nothing against the new guys now, lots of cards and coins. I love silks and canes even though they sometimes scream PROP!!!! Then a prop I will use them as. Again thanks for your help.

Steven
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Steven,

We need to talk!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Everyone,

May I personally recommend Jim Gerrish's "Genii Tube Revisited" available from the Prof. at http://www.magicnook.com. Not only will he give you instructions on how to make a really versatile silk prop but also includes for good measure a superb "20th Century Silks" routine!. How's that for remarkable value in these troubled times!

Best Magical Wishes,
Lester

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 5:59am
Hi Again,

Seriously though folks, if you're looking to buy construction details and working routines on some really good magic, particularly in this instance,"Genii Tube Revisited", then look no further than the Prof. and Jim's Magic Nook publications.

Best Magical Wishes,
Lester
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This will not be the first time or first place it has been mentioned. However, the Rice Silk Encyclopedias are worth their weight in gold. Understanding the options available for 20th Century Silk is a starting point.

If you do magic for a living, you'll ultimately own a drawer full of them. They are valuable tools in building a show. Audiences love them. They are inexpensive. Colors are your choice that go with the theme for that specific show. Patter is not required. They work!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I had a routine using two sets of 20th century silks. I tie 3 of the same colors together and place each of the two knots in each pocket so that the center silk is like a cumberbund across my belly.
I then use two yellow silks and vanish them both at the same time by using two appearing canes, one in each hand.
I then reveal the vanished silks by pulling the ends of the three tied silks and showing a string of 5 silks alternating colors.