The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Luke Jermay's 10 Card Poker Deal. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Hello, everyone!

I just learned the effect recently, and I really think that it's worth more than $13.

Beside the fact that I am quite a fan of Luke Jermay's works, I really love the fact that it is somewhat self-working; thus, reserving me the effort and time to work at my presentation.

I recommend this effect to everyone who wishes to learn a poker deal which is easy to do and set-up, without using a single sleight-of-hand, allows you to have more audience participation, and pull-off a very nice feat.

Anyone performing this effect, too?

Alel
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
I perform the Ten Card Poker Deal, although not Jermay's version. Once you know the principle, it's straight forward enough for you to come up with your own routine.
You might like to get a copy of Aldo Colombini's take on the Ten Card Poker Deal also.
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
I have been doing a Ten Card Poker Deal for a while now that is very similar to the one put out by Luke Jermay. Some time ago, I changed it slightly to incorporate John Bannon's "The Power Of Poker" as a final fourth phase, and it really is a stunner.

I know it is slightly more complex to execute, needing a convincing false shuffle and additional setup for the last phase, but in my opinion, it is well worth the effort.

Also, I recommend that you look up Harry Lorayne's take on this effect. It is excellently scripted and can be found in his "Classic Collection", or in his original book "Deck-Sterity".

Regards 0045
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
0045: Yes, it originally appeared in Deck-Sterity in the 1960s - before some of the current "creators" were born, I think. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
triplemagic92
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of triplemagic92
This paticular effect is very good. It is certainly worth learning to show people you have some good "poker skills". It is also not too hard to learn and can be adapted to different poker routines.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
My Favorite versions came to us by way of the incomprable Mr. Lorayne as well.

The first one being... "A Much Better Chance" from his PERSONAL COLLECTION this is the only one that I know of that can be performed with No Equivoque whatsoever. Every choice is a free one. (To use a Harry Lorayne word it's a "gasper")

Secondly, I enjoy Paul Gordon's "Head To Head Poker" from "Best of Friends" Vol. 3 It's a very well thought out strong routine as well.

Boy I have really tipped some "goodies" here... Check them out and "Use wisely."
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And you don't have to pay $13.00 for one routine; in the above mentioned, the routine is among 100s of other great items. Amazing to me what's being sold separately nowadays - particularly things that DON'T BELONG TO THE PERSON SELLING THEM. Buyer beware. HARRY LORAYNE.

triplemagic92
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of triplemagic92
Harrys sounds good too,
what exactly is the name of his product?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Triplemagic92: They're mentioned in the above posts. The original (and the best, according to most) is called simply, The 10-Card Poker Deal, and it's in the Deck-Sterity section of THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1. (Now I'll wait for all the posts screaming that I plug my books, which I wouldn't have to do if you guys answered the questions.) HL

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Harry, if you wanna plug your books here, then go ahead. I'M not going to scream at you. Hey, can you help it if the best information happens to be YOURS?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2008-06-07 10:59, Harry Lorayne wrote:
The original (and the best, according to most) is called simply, The 10-Card Poker Deal, and it's in the Deck-Sterity section of THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1. HL

I use this version with huge success. I have added a twist from Allan Ackerman.
H. Lorayne superior version is a very winning concept.
(Harry is my role model as an excellent card magician and creator)

Mats Kjellstrom
Sweden
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Everything Harry says about his books is true -- they're fantastic! But I have recently changed routines and now do John Bannon's The Power of Poker from Dear Mr. Fantasy.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I've had Harry's CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1 for just over a week now and "The 10-Card Poker Deal" was one of the first to grab me as I gave the book a casual perusal! I put it to the test with my bride the other night and she got a huge kick out of it!
As to the rest of this book........ IMO, an absolute treasure trove of card magic!

Mick
aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
I've studied & tried a couple of different 10-card poker deals (eg. Jermay, Trost). I love the concept and my spectators are clearly intrigued but I seem unable to turn it into a high impact effect. One problem may be the repetitive nature of the routine - once the spectators realise that they can't win - and this doesn't take long - then the whole thing becomes predictable and fizzles out (is "fizzles" a recognised word??? well, I hope you know what I mean). Any suggestions on how to build variety into this effect? and, in particular, any ideas on how to give it an unexpected climax?
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
I don't think you can get much better than Darwin Ortiz's Mexican Poker. But as he says, you have to establish your skill before you perform this.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2008-03-09 14:57, warren wrote:
You might like to get a copy of Aldo Colombini's take on the Ten Card Poker Deal also.

I agree! I saw him lecture last week and the poker deal was one sweet routine, that seems to get more impossible as it progresses. $10 is a pretty good price for a DVD, in fact all of the DVDs on the site are $10.
Doctor Whoston
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
149 Posts

Profile of Doctor Whoston
Aktino,
A number of threads have dealt with this problem (so do a search!) but one of the best solutions I've seen is the use of a "lucky" poker chip. Whoever holds the chip is the one that wins. So when the magician has it, they win; when the participant has it, they win.
aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
Thank you WilburrUK, Alan Munro and Doctor Whoston. You've given me several interesting leads - much appreciated.
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
Presentation is key here:
I present a rather unnerving story: gambling addict versus mysterious stranger/devil.
The trick/magic then becomes a tool for the story rather than the other way around, but I like the reaction.