The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Do you see what I see? :: What is the name of the technique... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Used by Tina Lenert to animate her coat? I've seen others use it, including a clown in Cirque du Soleil, and always wondered if this technique had a name.

Thanks
matthew
Circus Bambouk
View Profile
Loyal user
Tempe, AZ
256 Posts

Profile of Circus Bambouk
Nope. As far as I know, no specific name, other than 'personification' or 'puppetry'.

In my experience, the only thing linking all the performers of this act is that they all claim to be its originator. In the spirit of this month of positive posting, I will admit that I am 100% sure that each performer discovered this technique of puppetry on their own, in a vacuum.

Tina Lenert, Kenny Raskin, Slava, and others.

Hope that helps.

-Brian
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
I would willing to guess that this technique goes back for a long, long time. Mime skills have been with us since the beginning of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if a caveperson didn't make a bear skin come alive one night around the fire.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Great to know. Sounds like lots of people have used it; in the Genii issue featuring her, Tina remembers seeing a stripper do it as well.

Thanks for the help guys.

Matthew
Man Ray
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Man Ray
Tina lifted the technique/act from Kenny Raskin, and there was quite a hullabaloo about it.
Intellectual property is something that doesn't seem to exist in the magical world. A real shame.
Most magicians just walk around taking other peoples work without a second thought. Cheap.
Without consequences, I suppose it will all just continue as such. Sad.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
As it has for over a hundred years. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Pat Perry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Pat Perry
I think different about "taking" things: Fortunately very often the original has invested much more time and energy then a rip off. So you feel the difference as an audience. And as a "taker" you always have to explain yourself.

On the other hand it could be so easy: Why not get in contact with a person and find an agreement. Very often the answer will be: "use it but create your own approach". Or you pay something for the idea and everybody is happy. But you have to accept a "no" too. That's the way it should be.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Red Skelton also did a version...(if my Monday memory is working)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I noticed that this bit is being used in the new movie called "The Artist". Can't wait to see the movie. It's all done in silent. Looks like they took Mel Brooks idea. However, they are doing it all the way. They are using black and white and creating a setting that seems like it could have taken place during the silent movie era. The main female character walks up to a coat rack and inserts her arm into and does the Tina Lenert/Kenny Raskin bit.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Thanks for posting that link Pop - I always enjoyed watching Kenny work his brand of magic. This was superb!
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
This was on the 'The Magicians' last week on the BBC. I love this kind of stuff, it looks so simple but to pull it off is so hard.
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
See here also:- http://www.silentclown.com/donimo-gallery.htm

The name of this effect is 'one arm thru one jacket/coat/cardigan.....'
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Kenny Raskin claims to have originated the bit in 1981:

"Signature piece of clown Kenny Raskin Created June, 1981 Filmed in Central Park, NYC June 2001." ~ youtube video

Anyone have information on an earlier version?
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2016, Pop Haydn wrote:
Kenny Raskin claims to have originated the bit in 1981:

"Signature piece of clown Kenny Raskin Created June, 1981 Filmed in Central Park, NYC June 2001." ~ youtube video

Anyone have information on an earlier version?

Very cool Pop! I had never seen this bit. Thanks for sharing...

Gary
steadyeddy2000
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of steadyeddy2000
The name of this effect is 'one arm thru one jacket/coat/cardigan.....'