The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Looking for a source... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I hope someone here can help me. I am looking for a source of aluminum sheeting like that used for street and traffic signs. I have an idea for something that this material would I believe be ideal for. Lightweight yet strong. I know traffic signs have a material laminated onto the metal, but I want just the metal. Any help would be appreciated.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hello Eric,

ANY metal store will have that. Search out a local seller in your area on Google and you'll find it.

Best,

Tim
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
Lowes in my hometown stocks aluminum sheeting. 24" x 36" is the largest size they have.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Interesting, most of such signs in this part of the country are made of steel, not aluminum. If you can't find aluminum sheeting locally, try the net. I've bought aluminum sheeting from very thin guage sheet metal to 1/4 inch plate by just entering aluminum plate or aluminum sheet metal in a web search engine.
Most local sheet metal shops that make air condition ducts and the like probably have what you want or can order it for you.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Check with your local traffic or street department. They may have some old signs that they have replaced that they would give you.

Like Photius said, though, I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum traffic sign.

Also, I found a local contractor who had recently lost the contract for installing traffic signals for a surrounding town. They gave me several brand new traffic signals at no cost for my wife to use in her children's music studio. Maybe there are some similar contractors that install signs for the city.

You never know what you might find if you just ask.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Eric,

Try this website: http://www.mcmaster.com/

I have ordered metal from them, but not aluminum. They have aluminum sheeting available in different sizes and gauges. They also have aluminum sheets available that is laminated, with a laminate thickness of .002" and .003".

Regan
Mister Mystery
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Eric:

You're from Joisey and need help acquiring street sign material? Youse are only a ladder, a wrench, and a moonless night away from procuring all that you need Smile

Oh, you mean legitimately obtaining said material -- without being hampered by nosy gendarmes and possible ethical conflicts? Yeah, well, what Tim said -- most steel yards have non-ferrous inventory as well, and they may even have aluminium "rems" (or remnants) available for around $3.50/lb. They'll probably have shearing services, too, and will cut your material to your spec for a few bucks.

Leland
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Eric,

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com

They do have a NJ store.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com