The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Side table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
How can I attach a metal pipe fitting that is threaded in the middle and has six screw hole on the outside to a cymbal stand to make a side table? It resembles a eureka table base but is a home made version please let me know. Thanks and GOD bless.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I'll give you two options. I just did this myself. I did option one first, then I upgraded (in my opinion) to option two within a few weeks.

1 - The metal pipe fitting is attached to the bottom middle of the tabletop. Purchase a pvc threaded connector (they are usually about six inches long and threaded on both ends). Cut it down to about four inches and screw it into the metal fitting. Obviously the pvc connector must be the same size as the pipe fitting (probably either 3/4" or 1"). Simply set the pipe fitting over the cymbal stand pipe. If there is too much play, buy another pvc pipe fitting or tubing that will fit inside the pvc and slide on top of the metal cymbal stand. I basically played with options until I had a perfect fit. The table top would slide off and on, and spin around nicely.

2 - An alternative idea is to forget the metal threaded pipe fitting. Instead use a flag pole holder that you can purchase at Lowe's. I found a black metal one at Lowe's for about $6 that works great. Make sure it is the adjustable one with a wingnut. (This typically allows you to adjust the angle of the flag.) Not a fixed one flag holder. You can attach the flat side (the part that normally attaches to the house) to the bottom of the tabletop and the tube (where the flagpole usually goes) slides onto the cymbal stand pipe and has a nice screw that allows it to solidly attach to the cymbal stand pipe. I purchased a piece of flexible tubing that I placed over the cymbal stand pipe to take out any extra play.

The main advantage of option two is that wingnut. Once I attach the tabletop to the cymbal base, when I fold it up, I can simply adjust that wingnut and fold the table top flat to the cymbol stand. It allows the table to fold flat (easy to transport) and to stay as one piece (easier to carry).

I hope this is clear enough to help...
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
If you're talking about what I'm envisioning- attaching a flange to the top of a cymbal stand- I'll say that's probably not the way you want to go. If you really wanted to use the cymbal stand, your best bet would be to lop off the top, then weld (or JB Weld) a metal disc to the top, and affix your table top to that. For the price, though, you'd be best off actually buying a Eureka Table base. It'll look better and be more stable.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for letting me know.