The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Svengali Deck reborn? Not this way! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2737 Posts

Profile of sethb
Do you wonder if the Svengali Deck principle is still viable after its invention over 100 years ago? After all there was the 1960's television marketing blitz of "TV Magic Cards" by Marshall Brodien, the deck's inclusion in almost every children's magic set, and a pitch of the deck at just about every state, county and local fair.

And then I see an ad on the Café from US Toy for a "Jurassic Park" deck, click HERE to view. This looks suspiciously like a cheap Svengali Deck dressed up with an expensive cross-licensing agreement and a "card prediction" (not that this is a good combination, far from it).

In my humble opinion, anybody who pays $40 for this mishmash needs to have their head examined. Or better yet, come around to my pitch table and I'll sell you a REAL Svengali Deck for $10, one that you can actually do some impressive tricks with. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
You are certainly right. Sounds like a Svengali deck without face cards, only movie names. But FORTY SMACKERS???? Man!! He's an entre-manure!

Jon
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
In reading the description to me it sounds like a "Mental Photography" or Blank Deck with names of movies on them rather than a Svengali. Especially since it mentions 'spreading' the deck rather than some other move. Yes ... No ?

I'm also curious as to legal agreements in terms of licensing in order to use the logo and title "Jurassic Park" ... but that's not for me to worry about ...

Respectfully,
Cap'n Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
459 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Yeah, it sounds like it's also roughed on the backs. Plus there's some kind of change on the box, so it may be that $40 is a fair price.
sion
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of sion
Seth, The deck that we sell here at us toy is called "Jurassic Deck" not Jurassic Park. The deck is also not a Svengali deck. Check the link below for a review of the effect.

http://mylovelyassistant.com/index.php?m......rid=1309
It wasn't me it was the one-armed man!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2737 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, put a little crow on my plate and I'll eat it -- looks like it's not a Sven deck after all, but possibly a R-&-S situation. And if there's an extra kicker with the box, that's worth something, too, I'm sure.

My apologies, I'll slink back to my pitch table now! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Hey Seth, that's no problem. There is also no R&S either, When I got my hands on the a copy of it when we first got it in at the shop, I was really surprised. It takes a few different things and meshes them together. If you havent seen the demo, there is a video of Peter performing the effect on Youtube, Just search Jurassic Deck.

From me, Even though I do sell it at the shop I work for at US Toy. I would say it is worth the 40 Bucks, But I am also willing to spend a decent amount of money on a good workers commercial effect. But that's just me.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
This effect looks like a remake of "Pineapple Surprise." The deck used there is comprised of cards that are t*****r than o******y p****** c****. "Jurassic Deck" looks to be the same. "Pineapple Surprise" retails for only $15 at Hocus-Pocus' website. The only thing "Pineapple Surprise" doesn't do is change the appearance of the card box like "Jurassic Deck" claims to do.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm glad it says Jurassic deck and, working at Universal, I intend to buy one before the lawsuit begins Smile Regardless of the word DECK instead of Park ... the logo is almost identical Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....