The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Keeping Magic Library Books from rotting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Topic may sound weird, but what I am trying to do is protect my books. I have had two schools of thoughts and one was to read them as often as possible as the oil in your hands were good for the paper.I know sounds crazy, but.....
Other than that I was told to keep them in a humid free temperature controlled room and above all avoid moisture...
Any help on protecting classic books, please help.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
It is crazy. Oil and paper, hmmmm. Not a good combo. Try cotton gloves. you might be thinking oil and leather bindings.

You realy can't keep them humid free. If you did, they would eventually fall apart. You need an even, constant level of humidity for paper. The numbers are out there for books. Myself, I keep the books where I live mostly. The attic and basement are not good options.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I'm not sure if I'm correct on this,
but keeping them in a protective sleeve
can help, especially for soft cover books.

but I totally agree with kevin, cotton gloves.

there are places that sell special archiving
materials for collectors like comic books and
vinyl. that include gloves, bags and even if you
wanted to frame paper products.

one of my suppliers does.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Get a copy of Leo Behnke's book The Conservation of Magic. It has wonderful resources in it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Not more than 70 degrees and around 30% humidity. No direct sunlight (55 lux for light sensitive and 165 lux for others). Something else to consider, fluorescent lights can be damaging. Ideal conditions would be a dark room with temp and humidity controlled, using an incandescent light when viewing the material and some type of air filter/purifier.

Recommended:
National Bureau of Standards (NBS). Air Quality Standards for Storage of Paper-Based Archival Records, NBSIR 83-2795. Gaithersburg, MD: NBS, 1983, unpaginated, approximately 100 pp.

Information was gathered from Click Here
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Wow, talk about getting help. You guys are great, and all good ideas.
Thanks it is greatly appreciated.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2773 Posts

Profile of sethb
I think the main thing is keeping your books upright on shelves, not too tightly stacked, and away from heat and excessive moisture, in about the same temperature and humidity conditions that are also comfortable for you. If you want to protect the paper jackets, you can get clear Mylar covers for them. A few of my older book jackets started to deteriorate, and adding the plastic covers has really helped to slow or stop that problem, even though I don't care for the look of them (too shiny, not really part of the original book, etc.).

I hate to mention this, but a prime cause of problems can be loaning out books, so now I just don't do it, period. Often, I never got the book back, so I lost a book and a friend at the same time. And if and when I did get the book back, it usually wasn't in the same condition as when I lent it out. So now I just follow Ben Franklin's advice: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be!"

Finally, as you probably also know, the paper used in some books was very cheap, not enough rag content, and it was not treated properly during processing, either. Because it is too acidic, it will eventually self-destruct, no matter what you do. But with reasonable care, most books will still last longer than either of us! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
For books that used pulp paper, they can be saved too. You can have them dipped by a book conservator. This will stop the deterioration. At least in your lifetime.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I wish I could remember all the books I've loaned and never got back. Argh.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com