The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Grand illusions:the story of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
crossroader
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of crossroader
Hi,
What do you think about this TV series?
Where can I find descriptions of the episodes?
Christos
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Try Stevens' Magic Emporium.

I think they have it.

Regards
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Hocus Pocus is selling a DVD, which only contains 6 episodes? It was originally supposed to be 50 episodes, but it got cut down to 40?? Aside from the DVD's, there is an excellent range of episodes dealing with close up, cards, bar magic, animals, Las Vegas, assistants, etc. I taped all of the episodes except for 3-4. Basically, each episode concentrates on one topic. There is also tons of new and old footage of past and present magicians. Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I've got this series on tape. Yes, it is supposed to be 50 half-hour episodes, and last year Discovery Canada ran the entire series. For whatever reason, when they aired it again this year, they only ran 32 episodes. (Unfortunately, I taped it this year instead of last, so I'm still 18 episodes short. The ones they left out included some very good ones -- one on close-up magic, and an entire show devoted to Lance Burton.)

It's a good series, if a little repetitive. (They reuse some of the same footage many times.) But it's comprehensive, engaging, and includes exclusive interviews with many of the top magicians in the world today.

Some episodes are better than others, and there are some that I have watched several times. My favourite is The Great Canadians, which features, among others, Dai Vernon and Doug Henning. There's even a rare clip of Dai mentoring Doug at the Magic Castle.

Toronto-area magicians watching this series should look out for the Magic for Sale episode, which features the Browser's Den.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
927 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On May 5, 2003, Magicbarry wrote:
There's even a rare clip of Dai mentoring Doug at the Magic Castle.