The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Jam Auction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Have you ever seen a Jam Auction? Probably not. They have been banned from many places. The reason is that when done well, a Jam Auction will hynotize a crowd into spending large sums of money on merchandise they don't need. It is the most amazing bit of razzle dazzle you will ever see.

Don Driver has recently released an GREAT two DVD set that shows a real Jam Auction in action. It is done by the Gee Whiz Kid, Jack Nyberg. Jack is the Pavarotti of the Jam Auction world. Watching him work in pure poetry.

What he does is truly a magic act, because he transforms fair goers into marks and takes them for all they are worth. And THEY SAY THANK YOU TO HIM AS HE TAKES THEIR MONEY. He even gives them all suckers at that end!

If your are like me, and I know I am, you should go immediately to http://www.dondriver.com and get this DVD set.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
I too am facinated by the psychology of such things. But how do you feel about the morality of the thing?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 15:05, Experimentalist wrote:
I too am facinated by the psychology of such things. But how do you feel about the morality of the thing?

There is nothing immoral about the auction that Jack does. He's not stealing anyones money, they hand it over with a smile on thier face.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

I'll keep my mouth shut till' I see it.
I envision it as being like a live Ronco add.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 16:51, Experimentalist wrote:
I'll keep my mouth shut till' I see it.
I envision it as being like a live Ronco add.

Does Ronco do something morally wrong?

Jacks jam is not like a British runout. If you buy something, you get it. I don't think he's doing anything morally wrong at all. Anyone can walk away, and they do. At one point a guy comes back and returns what he bought earlier.

Check out the DVD and let me know what you think after.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

No Ronco doesn't do anything morally wrong. In fact I admire Mr. Popeel.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Me too. If you are intrested in seeing a pitch that uses some serious psychology, check out Dons DVD.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Nothing Jack does can be considered a flim flam. We watched it again last night.
What is most obvious to real world salespeople (both my Wife and I...she currently in phone sales) is how much REAL hard work this man does to EARN the sale and the trust of the buyer. And they DO get what they want and they get it guaranteed for a full year. He had a set of Chef knives (in the attache case) I'd give him 50 bucks for in a heart beat. Those folks are totally entertained. The mastery to watch here is how he cuts the herd...oh man...poetry as well as WHAM, decisive.

If there was any criticsim from me it would be he over qualifies the sale like when he goes over and over the MP3 players and to whom they were sold. In two cases it opened up a 'return' but even that cut some chaffe.

I really would like to know what was in those 20 dollar boxes though they weren't supposed to open! Smile

Don...tell Jack he sold me those knives...I'll send him a fifty. Smile

Bottom line is that is one HARD workin' salesman (!) and a hell of an education!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
By filming this double DVD of the Jam Auction, conducted by Jack Nyberg, and making it available, Don did a real service to anyone interested in psychology, sales, pitches or swindles. It’s a great piece of history preserved and great learning tool.

Jack Nyberg does a masterful job handling the group on several levels. Each time I watch it I’m fascinated with it and learn and see something I didn’t catch before.

Thanks to Don Driver and Jack Nyberg for the project.

Well done!

Muggs
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
233 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
I saw one here in Ontario, Canada about 10-12 years ago. Done by this elderly chap at a massive flea market. Same guy I remembered seeing seeing in my younger days several times. I hadn't seen him in years. It was like watching live art.
I ran into my brother at a fair one time aeons ago. He was part of the jam crowd participating. I was able to tell him the exact item to stop on. An wind-up alarm clock handed to him with his $5 bill wrapped around it. Ha!
Owen Anderson
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I just watched this DVD and WOW! This frigging guy is amazing! The psychology Nyberg uses to GTFM is unbelievable. I don't know how the guy can keep his energy level up for that long! I was trying to clock what he was doing but it all happened so fast that it will take two or three viewings before most of it comes together.

I will say as a street performer who has 'dabbled' in some of these ideas it was really cool to sit there and watch a master wind up and get TONS of cash from these people. It's a real soft sell and he is a completely likable guy. In the end the people get there money's worth and walk away happy. It really was just brilliant to sit there and watch. Don in his little post section explains how these techniques can be applied to a lot of different areas of performing particularly street magic. If you have busked you will really be able to appreciate the level of audience management and Nyburg's ability to sell not the products, but himself. "Who'll give me twenty dollars for something in the back of my mind?" and you see the hands just shoot up! Brilliant!

Don also says in his section that watching this can make you understand how guys like Jim Jones could start a cult. All I know is by the end of the tape I was drinking Nyburg's Kool-Aid.

If this type of psychological exercise appeals to you at all this DVD is a must have!

Thanks Don!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Is there a link for this DVD?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Don Driver's Jam Auction DVD set is worth every penny!

http://www.dondriver.com

I've watched it several times and I just got it last week.

Jack Nyberg's two hour jam pitch is absolutely captivating.

Watch him win friends and influence people!

Awesome!!!
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Thanks so much!
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa