The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Rating Skills for Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Am interested in conducting a workshop/class for grammar school kids.

How would you rate each of the following for their ease of learning (1 being easiest and 5 being hardest)?

Scarves
Peacock feathers
Hand held stilts
Rola bola
Plate spinning
Balls/beanbags
Diablos
Unicycle
Devil sticks
Cigar boxes
Pedal go's
Foam rings
Etc.

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
fettucinibrother
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
306 Posts

Profile of fettucinibrother
Quote:
On 2008-02-11 14:21, Tod Torrent wrote:
Am interested in conducting a workshop/class for grammar school kids.

How would you rate each of the following for their ease of learning (1 being easiest and 5 being hardest)?

Scarves
Peacock feathers
Hand held stilts
Rola bola
Plate spinning
Balls/beanbags
Diablos
Unicycle
Devil sticks
Cigar boxes
Pedal go's
Foam rings
Etc.

Thanks,
Tod

Tod,
Scarves, peacock feathers, and plates are going to be the easiest for them to do, with the highest rate of immediate success.
Beanbag juggling and rings would be next in level of difficulty
Next comes Diabolo, Devil Sticks and Boxes. All of these take a lot longer to learn.
As far as items like: 1)hand stilts,2)Peadla Go's 3)rolla bolla and 4)Unicyle... I put them in that order (easiest to hardest).
I tend to stay away from rolla bolla and unicycle in my camps, due to the liability issues.
There are a lot more falls and injuries with props that you stand/ride/balance on.
It is best to give them a nice mix of props. Some that give instant success and some that take focus, practice and discipline.
I also use the rigged spinning ropes that allow the kids to do a "flat loop" rope spinning trick almost immediately. It also leads nicely into plate spinning. Of course, this is all purely based on my own experience. I am sure that other folks who teach may have a whole different approach and set of ideas of what works and what does not. This is gathered from me teaching Circus Arts residencies in public schools for over 15 years and in Private Summer Camps for over 10 years.
AL
http://www.fettucinibrothers.com
http://www.greatfettucini.com
http://www.fettucinientertainment.com

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool - William Shakespeare
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Al,

This is great!! Exactly what I was looking for based on an educators experience.

To reiterfy what you've said, here is the breakdown from easiest to hardest:

Level 1: Scarves, peacock feathers, rigged ropes, plate spinning
Level 2: Beanbag juggling, balls, rings
Level 3: Diabolo, devil sticks, cigar boxes
Level 4: Rolla bolla, unicycles (based on difficulty AND liability)

Into what categories above would you put the hand-stilts and pedal go's?

Much thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Phil Blackmore
It depends a lot on what you do with the objects. You can do simple things like passing a bean bag from one hand to the other, balancing a devil stick horizontally on two sticks and doing little hops, holding the stilts for them etc..etc....

Diabolo should be level two. Most kids find getting a diabolo going far easier than juggling beanbags. Teach them to roll it along the floor then tap one stick with the other.

Pedal-go's with four wheels are very easy for small children. I had a nursery kid showing it to the whole school on Friday.
Boys really like poi as they can try to spin them really fast. You can also get flag poi which are safer.
Chinese ribbons like they use in rhythmic gymnastics are also good for kids.

Phil
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I teach devil stick to everyone aged 6 and over.

I wrote this a few years ago.

http://www.circusnews.com/modules.php?na......&thold=0

I'd generally agree with what everyone else says above.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk