The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Every pickpocket look here please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Ok this forum - is dead.
I want to practice and add pickpocketing to my magic shows but tapes and books are good but talking with experts is better.
but theres a problem since you just don't talk here...

I really hope that this subforum will get more attention with guys intrested in pickpocketing so I will write some of my questions and I hope I will get some answers and others will post here some questions.
probably this thread wont change anything but I'll just try...

1. ok so do you steal from trouser pockets? I pickpocket people during a tricks with coins or sponges mostly and then you can steal from side pockets back pocket watch of course but - trouser pockets? do you have any advice how to "hug" a spec or what to do to steal from his trouser pocket since that's where most people carry things.

2. do you tell poeple that you are a pickpocket before you start to stealing or you are doing it during a tricks. bob arno and james freedman are saying that before but apollo robins don't. whats your opinion?

that's only 2 I can think now and need answer but there's more... ;P
Docta FoxXx
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Docta FoxXx
Wait...which pockets are trouser pockets? I thought side pockets and trouser pockets were one in the same.

As for 2, I can't decide which I'd rather do. I'd really hate to **** someone off when they weren't expecting me to jack a wallet or two but then I've always thought the shock factor to be WAY higher if you don't tell the person.

And yea....the pickpocketing forum is a little beat.
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Well trouser pockets is (i know this from "stealing the show" so I think its true) they are pockets in pants, not backpocket but in side of pants. and I have problems with that,

and yea I think reaction would be greater if spec don't know anything but... I'm not so courage man to try that ;P
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Apollo does, in fact, tell his victims that he is going to steal from them before he does, and then he does it invisibly.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Simply put "Trousers" are also known "Pants" (as we call them these days).

Jim Ravels Book, "Theatrical Pickpicketing" does a nice, straightforward job going over the basics of stealing from pants pockets. The biggest difficulty with these pockets is that they are against the body whereas a jacket hangs from the body. While I find that I am able to get plenty out of jacket items, watches, belts and ties I do go for the wallet in the back pocket if I need a few more steals. To do this, I'll either use Ravels "Million Dollar Wallet Steal" which is a great way to get the wallet in what seems like test conditions. The other method I use is my own. Here is a previous post in which I described it:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=189

I personally do a pickpocket routine in my magic act, not by itself. I rarely do straight pickpocketing unless I'm in a walk-about situation (and even then I tell them I'm a magician). In my show, after the first watch steal (with my first spectator), I make a comment about my nasty habit of "shopping" during a show. This gets a laugh and plants the fact that it is regular part of the show. It also helps that I steal one item, crack a joke and then openly RETURN the item, which programs the audience that future steals will be returned as well.

As for announcing it openly I don't, but I have known many who do. The idea is that if the spectator is expecting a steal, they are much more likely to pay serious attention when your left hand reaches into a pocket (and as a result, less attention on the sneaky right hand Smile )
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 19:01, adgnyc wrote:
Apollo does, in fact, tell his victims that he is going to steal from them before he does, and then he does it invisibly.

Are you sure ?
I'm not sure at all Smile
Apollo doesn't tell he's pickpocket
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Docta FoxXx
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Docta FoxXx
Yea that's what he advertises in his stage show, he may not do it during an impromptu performance.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2008-02-05 11:45, obuch wrote:
Ok this forum - is dead.
I want to practice and add pickpocketing to my magic shows but tapes and books are good but talking with experts is better.
but theres a problem since you just don't talk here.

This forum is no dead, the problem is pickpocket is not like classic magic.
We can't learn to you the timing and control.
Everyone has a different timing for his steal.
You're beginner and I understand you don't understand that.
Pickpocketing is a long way.
One more time magic is easier than pickpocket.
Start to practise by ourself.
Books and videos learn technique, timing and spectator control are something we can't learn to you.
Practise,practise,practise and come back Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!