The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Help! Deformed foot! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DoveLover
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of DoveLover
Today I found the baby dove's right foot deformed. Yesterday it was normal. The parents probably sat on it in the wrong way. Now what should I do?
DoveLover

http://picasaweb.google.com/DoveLover.ma......cvOh166Y
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
DoveLover - That is a called a "splayed" (spelling) leg. I had a similar thing happen with one of my little ones. Just make sure the parents are still feeding the little one. There are a few things you can do in this situation, but first just make sure the parents are not neglecting the bird. If they are, then there is something further wrong that you can't see. A trip to the vet would be the best thing if that is the case. Unfortunately, when my little dove did the "splayed leg" thing, a couple of weeks went by and he didn't make it. This has to be corrected (the leg) as soon as possible or the dove will not be able to stand on its own and can cause more problems for the dove. Sort of like "bed sores" for people who are laying on the bed all the time because they can't walk. Doves will develop this on their chest because they can't perch, and have no option but to sit on the bottom of the cage. You can imagine that issues that can arise out of that.
I'm sure that Dave can give you some advice on this, and also AutumnMorningStar. There are a couple of topics on this condition with some solutions.

Good Luck!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Not much else I can add. Alpha has pretty much described the condition and the solution. If you take the dove to a vet, make sure you leave it in the nest and take it with you. Handling a new born can be traumatic and chances of it's survival during a trip are slim.
Where the magic begins
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I have one dove that has a deformed foot. two of his toes are bent backwards. I guess it was a birth defect or an injury sustained before I got him. Named him toewy and he is in fact my 'star' performer. Flaps beautifully and can take small flights away and back in the right conditions. In fact, he's not been flight trained. Toewy does not have any difficulty walkin or moving around. So I guess in your case, monitor the progress of the baby...ensure the parents feed it. If not, try handfeeding with baby parrot formula. tats what I did many yrs back with my baby dove. hope this helps...

ps: toewy's foot looks jus the same... and he's doin fine...in fact he's the alpha male. Still...prevention is better than cure... good luck
DoveLover
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of DoveLover
Thanks for your help. It's still alive but can not stand. The vet refused to do the surgery because it was too young. I'll do my best to take care of it and hopefully one month later the vet would do the surgery.
DoveLover
DoveLover
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of DoveLover
It died today...in the bottom of the cage...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dovelover, sorry for your loss. In all probability, the parents knew something was wrong and stopped taking care of it. It either fell or was pushed out of the nest. It doesn't take much to end the life of a baby dove and that's probably all it took.
Where the magic begins