The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: For the Card through Window effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
What would truly be a God Send to us Card Through Window Enthusiasts would be some sort of glass or plastic sleeve which would reflect light in such way, so that when you have the card planted behind the window, you CANNOT see the card because of the glass or plastic cover. Then, to make the card appear, you secretly peel off the cover, making it appear as if the card just penetrates to the other side.

Do you guys think something like this is possible? scientifically?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
If you want to achieve a see through effect, we might still need some time
Cards never lie
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
No, this is fortunately not possible. The card physically obstructs the outside light, and all a sticker could do is to introduce a further obstruction. Imagine all the chaos in life if it were possible!

If you could do that, then it'll be magic Smile
Jsmith45
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Jsmith45
Let me know when someone accomplishes that.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I have always toyed with the idea of doing card through window where it doesn't actually go through the window just appears to. This might be able to be done with a thick plastic material sort of like the colorforms I used to play with as a kid, giving the illusion the card is behind the glass but it is just behind the plastic? It just popped into my head one day but never worked on it or anything. My logical reason for not having to remove the card was doing it on an airplane window, plus you didn't need that much material.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Is the general premise ok? Do you think it might work? Any suggestions? I have started rethinking about this recently.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Ive been messing around with this a little bit. I havent found the right material and have been using a clear reposrt cover. I take the signed card and put it under the report voer. I Cut it the size of a one of my vindow pains and it looks like it is stuck outside. I am trying to think of a way to secretly discreetly and quickly load this and attach ti to the window in front of the spectator. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 10:50, chrusa wrote:
Ive been messing around with this a little bit. I havent found the right material and have been using a clear reposrt cover. I take the signed card and put it under the report voer. I Cut it the size of a one of my vindow pains and it looks like it is stuck outside. I am trying to think of a way to secretly discreetly and quickly load this and attach ti to the window in front of the spectator. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I think this idea has already been done. There is a trick called "Liquid Card Through Window," and it utilizes this very idea. Unfortunately, the trick is poorly constructed, poorly routined, and is not practical in the real world.

Perhaps you can improve on this under-utilized, under-studied concept. Let me know how it goes.

best

Evikshin
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
Evikshin, what you describe in your first post is really cloaking device? Refracts light around the card! Scientifically possible - yes, but not with current technology outside of the realms of science fiction. Scientists have managed to do this with microwaves around cylidner shapes, but not with visible light yet.
Don't get even... Get odd!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Actually, a few years ago I saw some demonstrations of this type of cloaking. They had to use a camera to take a live picture of what was behind the object, and then project the same image(of what's behind it) onto a special material that would nicely display the projected image.

I still have a clip of a demonstration. It was impressive, but not practical, yet.

I've also seen some articles about governments attempt to develop materials for hiding ground artillery.

A search on "cloaking" will probably turn up some interesting info.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Did anyone try John Kennedy's take on the effect? I understand it is very impressive but I haven't seen it myself and do not know how practical it is.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
HMAC
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of HMAC
Well...

This has been a hot topic in the past few months in physics.
http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090115/f.......27.html

If you perform to alien who just see microwaves, maybe ?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 22:03, Amiable wrote:
No, this is fortunately not possible. The card physically obstructs the outside light, and all a sticker could do is to introduce a further obstruction. Imagine all the chaos in life if it were possible!

If you could do that, then it'll be magic Smile

This presupposes that the window is backlit. If the lighting comes from the front at the beginning of the effect, but is changed by a rheostat as in the blue room, it might be possible.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
I agree with John Long. That could actually be feasible... anyways... I've put in a long long time researching and developing CTW effects. I also came upon the idea of "cloaking"... being unsuccessful of course. In trying various things out I realized attaching a card perpendicular to a window by it's short side, it makes it so there is less card to hide. In fact... with very little cover the card becomes invisible. This is the basis of my "Framed" CTW effect...

So if you are seriously going to consider coming up with some cloaking thing then it would seriously consider attaching the card like I said and then find a way (like I did) to lever it up to the window at the "moment of card impact."

Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney