The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: My Mini Lop passed on (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mikey Magic
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Mikey Magic
Just an hour ago, my rabbit died. It was sad, but that's not why I'm writing. She was only 3, but every month or month and a half she would get sick. This happened for about 2 years. I thought it had to do with her being a female because she would always bounce back and be herself two days later.
When she was sick, she wouldn't eat or drink water unless I would put the water bottle in front of her. This time was different. I noticed she wasn't feeling well on friday. But this time I couldn't get her to drink even if I put the water by her. Then tonight she got mad when I put the water by her, she sat up and almost fell over. Then she laid on her side, kicked her feet a few times, breathed hard and died.
I was wondering if that is a common thing for female rabbits to get sick every month or so?
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I am deeply sorry for your loss, I had one of my lops die about a year ago, she was only 1, the morning she died she was doing just fine and later that night I went to check on her and she was laying on her side dead, It was a very sad moment. But as to your qusetion I would talk to a vet that specalizes in rabbit's and they might give you a more detailed answer. To my knowlege my rabbit has never gotten sick, but she is only 2 in half years old. I hope this helps alittle.

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I'm very sorry for your loss Mikey. I lost my oldest Netherland this past summer. He was a Blue-Eyed White. It saddened me because he had been with me for a long time. He was about 8-9 years old, which is a pretty good life for a Netherland Dwarf bunny.

I'm not sure about the question you asked pertaining tio female rabbits. I habve only had one female Netherland. She was hateful, and I did not use her in shows much after she got fully grown. She died suddenly at about 2 years old, but I always attributed her death to a tramatic experience. Her hutch door latch was left loose and she escaped. I searched and searched until I gave up after a couple of days. I thought sure she had become a meal for a hawk, owl, coyote, wildcat, fox, etc.

Then, I was going past my neighbors house and saw her sitting in the corner at their garage door. The door was as white as she was so I barely could see her. I walked up to her and she did not try to run. I picked her up and she acted scared. After a while she seemed fine, and I was so thankful to have found her ok. I put her back in her hutch that afternoon and she seemed fine. She was hopping all around, eating, drinking, and everything. When I went to check on my bunnies the next morning, she was dead.

I figure she had been stressed a lot. Netherlands are scary and nerveous creatures, and I thought she may have even been chased by the neighbors dogs or cats. Anyway, I'm not sure, but I think that must have had something to do with her demise, because she was as healthy as could be before all that happened.

Maybe someone here has more experience with Mini Lop females that can help you out. I don't really know if a Mini Lop's life expectancy is similar to a Netherland Dwarf's either, but 3 years seems too young for a dwarf rabbit to die without some underlying cause.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I'm sorry about your loss.

I'm involved in a bunny rescue shelter in which we house over 50 spayed and neutered bunnies. I've learned a lot the past couple years regarding bunny health, illness, behavior and how to bond rabbits. They really do well with a friend. I currently have 7 in my home and they are bonded in groups of 2 and 3. All are spayed and the only male in the group (Hefner) is neutered. The spaying and neutering is recommended regarding health problems. The 50 we have at the shelter all live free range and except for the occasional spats live peacefully. You can do that with large groups such as ours in the shelter but for those in a home..probably three is the limit for successful bonding.

However, those that have two un-neutered males living together will likely have problems as bunnies can fight to the death when they hit puberty, so always better to seperate males unless they have been neutered. Two females generally do well together and bonding in a neutral territory first before placing them in the same area is recommended. Anyhow that's a bit of bunny info for the forum members.

Although I can't be sure it sounds like your bunny may have had statis, but it's not something that just female bunnies get. It's a blockage that occurs frequently in bunnies and they need to get vet help pretty quickly if they can't pass the obstruction. A unspayed female sometimes goes into heat and this causes a nesting instinct in which they pull out their fur to prepare for a nest. Those with long hair are especially prone to statis as the hair can cause a blockage. Bunnies don't cough up hair balls like cats. In fact, they don't cough at all which is why bunny savy vets don't tell you to take a bunny off food or water before surgery, unlike you do with other animals.
You've probably heard that cows have two stomaches? Well sorta the same thing with bunnies as they regurgitate their poop and need to do it in order for good health. I'll explain: Bunnies have two different kinds of poop. One is hard and oblong and is fecal matter, the other is soft and round. The second one is redigested and serves as an natural antibiotic for the bunnies. Bunnies that live all their lives on wire mesh cages don't get the chance to redigest that poop and as a result may suffer from health problems.
The life expentancy for a bunny is aprox 10 years. As bunnies are prey animals they do frighten easily and can die suddenly from heart attacks.

Statis can be avoided by including roughage in their diet - they do need hay and fresh veggies not just pellets as most people give them. Hay is a must and available in any pet stores. Giving them Ovum is helpful..available at the pharmacy in the baby section, if you suspect a blockage.Rubbing their tummies helps too to pass a possible blockage. Papaya tablets or dried or fresh also helps overall health and problems with their gut. Craisins which are dried cranberries (high in vit C) are great treats and I've never known a bunny that didn't love these. They love dandelion leaves as long as they are pesticide free and this is also high in Vit C.

With bunnies not all vets are knowlegable about them and it's always best to go to a small animal vet who specialize in working with bunnies, guinea pigs, chins, degu's ect..

Here's a site that is pretty informative regarding statis and how you can avoid it happening in a bunny. http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Aanimals,%20Bunnies%20II.htm

Chrystal