The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Easy way to steal belt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
A very well-known magician/stand-up comic stole my belt during his Montreal show.

I was very willing to play along with him from the very start. Unfortunately his belt-stealing moves were so blatant and rough that my belt was literally ruined upon it's return. Admittedly, it was not the newest leather belt, but neither was it damaged nor too well-worn prior to the routine. Upon it's return, I immediately noticed that the leather was cracking pretty badly --but was careful not to show dismay in order to keep the good feeling towards his routine.

I had my own show the next day and had to find a brand new replacement belt just prior to the show. In some way I ended up the winner (new belt!).

Not sure if the performer ever really knew that some damage to the belt was done. But at the very least it would have been nice if he had thanked me (and the other volunteers) at the end of his routine (ie. stage whisper "thanks for playing along", as I moved off stage --or at least after the show, and would have been even nicer if he has checked my belt quickly for damage prior to its return.

In any case, I have always enjoyed this particualr performer and was more than pleased to have been of some help during his show. definitely worhth the price of the belt! Still, the experience taught me the importance of thanking volunteers and checking to see if everything is ok, prior to sending them back to their seat or at least after the show --whther it's a watch, a wallet, cell phone, or anything else of theirs that I touched and used in my show.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
And he will probably do it again without anyone telling him he damaged it, until its an expensive one and then it comes out of his own pocket.

You should of told him after the show. How will he know what he did was right or wrong?

I'm not a fan of this magician mentality. I won't say anything, I don't want to hurt his feelings. I'd rather get some ego bruising, as long as I got information that 1- helps my show get better, or 2- doesn't damage someone else's clothing or jewelery.

Its great that you check the items, but what is your friend going to do? Keep damaging belts or watches?

You learned something from the experience, he should of also. Keeping quiet about doesn't help him expand and get better.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
The performer was David Williamson.

Jonathan
Jonathan
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Lol,Dave is not a pickpocket, he does comedy magic !

I like so much this guy !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I saw the strangest belt last night! It was a single strip of leather completely covered in press studs! You choose the tightness by how many rows of studs you connect. To steal would involve pulling off all the studs but then it slid out very easy!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
The easiest way to steal a steel-studded belt (IMHO)...

...you cut the loops one by one using some great misdirection and a sharp razor blade (not sissors) lol
Jonathan
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
And then what? Have the guy step out of his belt?
:) Smile Smile
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JaY-JaY Pickpocket
Tough belt Nick.

As said through other points, pickpocketing is getting harder because well in this 21 century there are more creative people in the area of fashion.

As much as I would like to take every belt without being caught, this will just not happen! I have learnt that the belt that works, is the leather belt, which is thin, which will slide off the pants easy. Little things like the size of the man, him playing along with the gag etc etc, always helps when your taking a belt.

Though yes, it is annoying me because everyone has all these new and exotic belts now.
Check JaY-JaY Out!
www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment
www.myspace.com/jayjayentertainment
Facebook - JaY JaY 'josh jayaweera'
Love to hear from you!
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JaY-JaY Pickpocket
Jlevey,

I would assume you would be talking about David Williamson Comedy Magician (Famous for his rocky racoon idea)

I am suprised he is taking belts and stuff. However, who knows with that man?

In regards to your point,

After every show...and I do mean every show. I either stage whisper to them, saying thanks for playing along or thanks for coming up, in my normal voice and normal persona. Or I will go and shake their hand after personally once again just me being normal, thanking them. I think this is crucial! So IMPORTANT!

They will respect you so much more, if you come up to them personally, and not in your stage character, shake their hand, look them in their eyes and personally say thanks.

JaY-JaY
Check JaY-JaY Out!
www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment
www.myspace.com/jayjayentertainment
Facebook - JaY JaY 'josh jayaweera'
Love to hear from you!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Excellent points Jay-Jay.

As for David Wiliamson stealing belts, this show took place several years ago (approx. 6) in Montreal. Perhaps it was his first (and last) time doing this particualr routine. In psite of the damage to the belt, the routine proved to be very funny in traditional Wliliamson fashion.

Best regards.

Jonathan
Jonathan
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
I too had found belts to be hard. That may something to do with the many men I encountered with a really tight belt and a bulging stomach! (I think we love pasta too much here in Malta...). But I agree, belts are very entertaining and dramatic to steal.

Since I combined magic and pickpocketing, I used the ploy of a rope penetration which needed me to twist a rope around their waist, which gave me the opportunity to take it.

Regarding David Williamson, the only time I saw him live was at an IBM Convention in England, and frankly I lost every ounce of respect I ever had for him after that. During a spoof of fire-eating, he deliberately drenched his volunteer with a large quantity of water he sprayed from his mouth, in a parody of the volcano stunt. I think that is very crude and disrespectful to a person who came up to help you, and someone of Williamson's skills does not need that kind of humor to make people laugh. Maybe that's why he picked a quiet type, but I was surprised he didn't get his teeth punched in.
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

Profile of David Williamson
Hi

Not surprised that people lose respect... I often look back on some of the "wild" things I've done in the name of fun at some magic conventions and cringe. I could be wrong, but I think I've only worked one British IBM convention... Southport 07 and I really don't recall spitting water on anyone.

Years ago at Ron's Day in London I did a gag where I gave a lesson on the "spit take" by giving an audience member an umbrella and I would demonstrate the Right and Wrong way to do it. But I don't ever recall actually spitting on a person... now watch someone come up with a video! Anyway I have learned that things we do for a laugh can be seen many different ways by different people.

Jonathan... sorry about the belt...! (another cringe) I owe you one.

Dave
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I once saw David Williamson kill a man live on stage. True story. Beat him to death with a Rocky Racoon.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Dear David,

Beleive me when I tell you that I enjoyed your show tremedously and getting to be a volunteer for your belt steal made it worth the cost of a new belt.

The sad thing is that ever since that on Montreal stage incident, I have harboured an extreme fear of belts and I've been resigned to wearing bright red suspenders.......lol

Of course, having to change my career-orientation was an additonal ramification
--I now work as a Fireman for the town's main firehall.

Shoul dyou ever do a return engagement in Montreal, and should I end up on stage having my red suspenders stolen on stage during your show --then I'll have to go back to wearing a belt!

So, keep up the funny bits --just carry a spare belt (and suspenders)in your travel kit --just in case.

With best regards.

Jonathan
Jonathan
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
David I appreciate your reply. Maybe it was the International Convention in London where I saw you as I've never been to Southport. I am all for crazy humor and loved your style and every performance of yours I've seen - the dry ones at least! Your comment makes a difference, thanks for replying.