The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Mask Change Idea!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
I would like to ask any idea for the mask change. Basically, I got my routine for my mask change. Anybody know where can I find more about mask changing act?

Thanks

Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Mask change?? A couple nights ago, I saw a China movie on mask change, a very touching story. Mask change is a secret ancient Chinese art, according to the movie, but the lead actor was unable to find a male heir to his art. Rumours said that Andy Lau is willing to pay $2 million bucks to learn mask change from the masters in Sichuan, China. So if you have $2 million bucks to spare....
never try, never know
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Wow, what is so special about it? Are you talking about the things McBride does? I thought McBrides routine was quite easy to learn.

Lee
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Hi magician81,

I know about Andy Lau issue that he wanted to learn magic especially that Chinese mask changing.. The Chinese mask changing also known as The magical face.

As for McBride routine, I do not want to copy other peoples style. I would like to know more about the techniques that the other people use to broaden my knowlege of manipulation magic.

I have my way to do my mask change and I will stick with it. Just this morning I got another idea of doing the mask change.

Hope those magician out there who do mask change can ecxhange ideas.

For those who know where to obtain more about the mask change method, idea, technique. I would appreciate if you guys would post the link and site.

Thanks

Best Regards
Symmatrix

Symmatrix Magic
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
There is no way to copy his style. Also why would you? He is a bit annoying. Don't get me wrong though he probably is a very nice and charming person but from his Card Manipulation videos I think he is a bit golden child and Symmatrix I like the Avatar with the ninja theme. Take a look at the mask in "Ninjutsu: History and Tradition" by Masaaki Hatsumi. It is very cool and if you get that in a routine not even McBride himself can help himself.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Thanks for the compliment wikiro,

So Basically, for the "Ninjutsu: History and Tradition" is a tape or a book? Where can I get to know about this stuff?

Symmatrix Magic
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Yeah, Ninja mask would be the way to go. I think McBrides is a little flat. I mean everyone knows he has a whole bunch of masks. I have some ideas for a ninja routine so I am going to see if I can work with it. See where I can take it and how far I can push it. It would break away from the old Cardini style of manuipulation (which I think he is one of the only people ever to get away with it). Hey, as a high-light you can add Shoot Owaga, Ninja Rings into the mix. Smile Just pm me Sym and I can give you some ideas.

Lee
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
it's a book
never try, never know
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
How to obtain it..?
Thank's magician 81.

Symmatrix Magic
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
McBride's Mask routine is more about the metaphors and the artistry than about zip-bam-pow magic.

Julianna Chen did a mask routine which preceded her card productions on World's Greatest Magic. The changes were quite impressive.

What was the point of my post? Not sure. I think masks are great. I would love to incorporate a venitian style mask into a magic routine. I think they are beautiful.
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Cool another manipulator that's interested in mask act.....

Keep more ideas coming in...
And make this thread a specialty for mask manipulation only...

Keep this thread rolling..

Best Regards
Symmatrix

Symmatrix Magic
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
At Amazon, you can find it. Allow me to say something in fairness. of all the mask changes, the Chinese mask change is the greatest. I firmly believe no mask act can even hold a candle to it. I saw on a movie, a couple nights ago, simply unbelievable. it holds the record for changing 14 masks in 24 seconds. No disrespect to Jeff McBride, who is my favorite magician, I don't think he can even pull off that.

This 'changing face masks' is considered as a national treasure to China authorities. Forget about other mask changes or acts symmatrix, cus this is the one & only best mask change & nothing will change that.
never try, never know
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
The book doesn't talk about magic at all. I just thought the mask was cool.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Quote:
On 2003-03-04 10:56, magician81 wrote:
At Amazon, you can find it. Allow me to say something in fairness of all the mask changes, the Chinese mask change is the greatest. I firmly believe no mask act can even hold a candle to it. I saw on a movie, a couple nights ago, simply unbelievable. It holds the record for changing 14 masks in 24 seconds. No disrespect to Jeff McBride, who is my favorite magician, I don't think he can even pull off that.

This 'changing face masks' is considered as a national treasure to China authorities. forget about other mask changes or acts symmatrix, cus this is the one & only best mask change & nothing will change that.

14 in 24 seconds? That is not much at ALL. Jeff McBride could easily do that much. It's not like mask changes are THAT hard. If you do the changes like Juliana Chen (with a robe) then they are even easier. The problem is that it wouldn't look good changing that many masks.

Max
white hats rule.
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Please, please, please do not underestimate Chinese mask changing. ok, I did not state my point clearly. 14 masks in 24 seconds is not a big deal if you use your hands visibly to remove and replace it. I can even do it. but 14 masks in 24 seconds without using your hands is something that is going to knock you off. Please go & get this Chinese movie 'King Of Masks'. The performer changes his mask without even using his hands. First, he will use a silk to cover the change but suddenly he throws away the silk & in a puff of smoke he changes mask again, again another puff of smoke, his mask changes again & this continues. No hands were used. It just happened at a flash

Oh, btw 14 masks in 24 seconds is a Guinness world record. Check your facts before you comment on this Chinese art treasure. This art can be traced back to more than 300 years ago. I guess only the Asian people will have a clue of it. In words I cannot describe how magically is Chinese changing masks. You have to get yourself a copy of this movie in order to feel it or you can log on to this site

Click Here!
never try, never know
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
Quote:
On 2003-03-03 20:31, pyro_magic wrote:
Yeah, Ninja mask would be the way to go. I think McBrides is a little flat. I mean everyone knows he has a whole bunch of masks. I have some ideas for a ninja routine so I am going to see if I can work with it. See where I can take it and how far I can push it. It would break away from the old Cardini style of manuipulation (which I think he is one of the only people ever to get away with it). Hey, as a high-light you can add Shoot Owaga, Ninja Rings into the mix Smile Just pm me Sym and I can give you some ideas.

Lee

One of Jeff McBrides acts flat? No way. He is a magic god. That is going out on a ledge. Give me a break. No way. He is the epitome of a magician.

Leon
"Leave your own Legacy." *Mickey Mantle

"Be Natural." *The Professor
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Well said Leon. Apart from being a very talented and entertaining performer, his acts have to be watched far beyond the simple magic to get the utmost out of them. There is a whole meaning behind his acts. I also like his different presentaton of magic.

Ivan

PS: If one knows how to do the mask change, doesn't mean the audience knows too.

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
Ivan,

Thanks man. Yeah, Jeff is more than a magician he is an artist and he inspires me greatly. I had the pleasure to meet him a couple of years ago.

Thanks agian for backing me up.

Leon Smile
"Leave your own Legacy." *Mickey Mantle

"Be Natural." *The Professor
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I do one mask effect in my manip routine. After produce a fan of jumbo cards, I bring it in front of my face, and when I pull it away, I am wearing a Kabuki style mask. Shimada does something similar to this.