The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Unicycling Help and Advice Required (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

I have recently started unicycling and after a couple of weeks of good practice, I can now go about 4 or 5 pedals alone (as long as there is a wall by the side of me just in case).

My main problem is that, for some psychological reason, I can't seem to be able to make myself go anywhere if I don't have that wall by the side of me (just in case). I seem to freeze out and step off after a single pedal.

I have felt myself get a lot better and more comfortable on a unicycle, particularly in the last few days, but this problem is really starting to bug me and it is the one thing stopping me from getting on the pavement for some longer runs!

Any help or advice would be most useful, especially if you came up against this problem yourself and have some handy tips!

Many thanks

Mark Watson
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
218 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Hey there,

I've been unicycling for 4 months so I consider myself an advanced beginner.

What I did to let go of my support is to force myself to cycle without it. It took about 3 days of falling to get a good 15 feet steady.
I was using my car as support, so after I cleared it I had to keep pedaling to prevent a fall.
So maybe try to use something else than a wall.

Hell, if I can do it, anybody can (And now I can ride across town, hop down stairs, free mount...etc..)

So, the usual advice Smile Fall a lot and don't give up!

-Louis-P
erichall
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
69 Posts

Profile of erichall
If you are lucky enough to know two other people who can unicycle, you can ride in between them with your arms extended to their shoulders. I was lucky enough to learn this way, when I broke away from the wall. Maybe someone could walk along side you instead..

Try leaning slightly forward to get the "movement". It takes some getting used to, but it's easier to balance when you are moving than when completely still.

Eric
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Mark wrote:

"...it is the one thing stopping me from getting on the pavement for some longer runs!"

Mark,

Anton posted to you back on Dec 7 2007 or so that the first thing he suggested was get off the grass ... you are doing yourself an injustice by "practicing" in the grass. Get that tire on the hard pavement and practice. It's like learning to juggle with scarves - sure you can do three but when you try balls it's a lot harder because your faking yourself out with the scarves - does that make any sense? No? OK, never mind ...

:O)

Cap'n Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!

Captain Mike, I'm afraid you don't quite know the full story. When I say go out on to the pavement for some longer runs, I mean as opposed to using the comparitively smaller patio area I'm using at the minute.

I know it wasn't so long ago that I posted about this, but I did take on board what you all said! I'm just wandering if anyone has anything to help me with this specific problem I have now identified. I seem to be gradually overcoming, so I'm sure I'll crack it eventually! Thanks all the same for your concern, it is appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark Watson

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
I stick by my original thought that riding on grass is cr@p. Its just a bad place to practice. I cannot tell you how long it took me to ride. Much longer than most. Im not very graceful in general. The best advice I got for riding ways...

Start with the pedals horizontal.
Using a wall only teaches you to ride while holding the wall.
And some stuff about idling that is unimportant here.

My advice would be to get on it and go. you'll fall and you'll say why did I fall, you'll adjust your riding, and then you'll repeat this. I beat myself up so bad learning to ride. But I love it.

Just do it and itll come,
Anton
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 11:33, mark1991 wrote:

Captain Mike, I'm afraid you don't quite know the full story ... Thanks all the same for your concern, it is appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark Watson

No problem, you're welcome.
Cap'n
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I'm currently teaching my son (aged 7) to ride. One method that is having some success is to walk alongside him whilst he gets the fell of the movement and then get him to let go (or when he was more panicky, make sure that I could let go of him). After about 4 sessions he is up to 7 revolutions on his own (or roughly 3 quarters of the hall in which we practice). He isn't consistent or able to start on his own yet but he is making progress. If you have someone who is prepared to walk alongside you Mark it might work.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Riding a unicycle is definately one of the hardest things I've ever learned to do...

Just to echo a few thoughts, riding on grass sucks, go somewhere there is pavement...I used to go to an elementary school a few minutes from my house and use their blacktop to practice...also, when I was learning I would ride along the sidewalk and clutch the schoolhouse walls for support...

very rarely did I ever bust my hindend learning to ride b/c the unicycle would normally "shoot" out from under me when I lost my balance...I'd land on my feet but I'd scar the heck out of my seat...

I'd say just keep doing what you're doing...everyday you'll make a little more progress and finally you'll get it...we've all been there...good luck!
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hey everyone,

I am happy to say that, thanks to all of your advice (and a couple of hours solid practice over the weekend), I can finally pedal completely unaided for about 4 or 5 rotations of the unicycle - and I'm getting better!

I have to say, the piece of advice that really helped me was to start with the pedals horizontal (thanks Anton!). The first pedal was barely a pedal, so it gave me the gusto to do the second, and then I just kept going! I'm now practicing entirely on the road outside my house, using my dad's car as my initial support to get on. Of course, I always keep an eye out for oncoming traffic, but being as our road is a dead end there isn't much of that about.

In a few weeks, I should be able to go as long as I want, and then the world is my oyster where unicycling is concerned!

Many thanks to you all for helping me!

Take care

Mark Watson

AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
No problem.... its fun stuff....

Just remeber to strech.... unicycling will make you old quick...

Anton
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
Hey there; I'm a unicyclist of seven years and a unicycling instructor. the advice I give the people I teach that seems to work best 4/5 times is the advice to simply pedal, and pedal fast. If you put into your head that you're going to pedal fast you'll go farther and get more revolutions in. Also, pedaling fast engages a gyroscopic effect which keeps the wheel vertical. If at all possible, try to ride in a gym on some hardwood floor, since it hurts less to fall, and when it hurts less to fall you'll be more confident to ride.

Another note: a lot of beginners hold the saddle with one hand as they're learning. I don't know if this is an issue for you, but if it is my biggest advice is to keep your hands out to the side!

Finally, to get comfortable sitting on the uni, sit on it with the cranks in the vertical position and start rocking back and forth (idling). Take your hand off the support for a second or two. This little exercise will definetly help you become more familiar with unicycle riding.

For further uni information, advice, and whatnot, go to unicyclist.com.

Hope that helps!

- Edwin
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck