The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: "Magic for Everybody" by Joseph Leeming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Dover Books is now offering a reprint of this classic beginners' book of Magic. If this wasn't the first magic book I ever read,it was certainly one of them. I remember checking this book out of the elementary school library over and over again. Joseph Leeming was one of the great children's book writers. He had a knack for making everything both clear and entertaining. If you collect basic and beginning magic books, I'd have to say your collection is incomplete without a copy of this.
Don
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486461467.html
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
WOW...Dstachowiak! You just brought back some great childhood memories! Yes, I checked out that book over and over as well. I kinda wish they would retain the original cover's art work...The art work inside and outside of the book is great, to me anyway... Joseph Leeming...I always wanted to be able to meet he and Bill Severn and say, "Thanks for teaching me magic and getting me started."....

mdspark
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
My feelings too. Leeming put out some nice books. It's a shame his stuff always flies under the radar.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
I have in my collection an original 1928 edition discarded from Irving School Library, Chicago.

A wonderful book!!!! Good WIDE coverage of many forms of magic!!!! Nice coin section!

Very basic, but good!!!

It probably sent many a boy on the road to a great hobby if not a professional career.

Regards,

Mark
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Yep, my experience as well, Mark. I have often thought that Joseph Leeming and Bill Severn diserved some sort of formal recognition for there outstanding contributions to beginning magic.. But alas, both are gone now... Those two provided me with hours of discovery and wonder....
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
P.S... I was actually thinking about Fun With Magic by Joseph Leeming. I just noticed a copy or two on ebay...wow, been a long time since I saw the cover and the great art illustrations by Jessie Robinson. Talk about bringing back some memories.. I may have to buy a copy just for sentamental reasons.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Mdspark,
yes they had both books in our school library, but Magic for Everyone was the one I kept checking out, I think it was partly to prevent other kids from reading it.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Hey Don,
I can remember doing the same thing LOL. Once I "fooled" some classmates with a trick, they wanted to check out the book and find out how it was done, lol...

Mdspark
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Fun with Magic & More Fun with Magic were two of my first and favorite books from my childhood. Through the magic of ebay I have now bought I believe every book on magic I had as a child (or saw in the library).

I agree that Leeming along with Bill Severn & Henry Hay were the best writers of childrens magic books to date. I was fortunate enough to meet the aged Mr. Severn once at Flosso's back in the late 1970s. He was very gracious and kind. I asked if he by any chance knew where I could get a copy of his book, "Magic Wherever You Are" which was another favorite. He said, No and if fact he didn't even have a copy!

I just realized the other day that I actually have an extra copy of Fun with Magic (fairly worn) if anybody is interested.

Bobby
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Leeming put out some nice titles in this series. When I used to collect general magic books, I know I had many other titles from this series. I think they were Fun With String, Fun With Boxes, Fun With Paper etc. Maybe about 6-10 different titles in the series. I forget them all, but a quick search on the net should dig them up.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Yep, you are right Kevin...came accross all of them when looking for his magic books on the internet. In the process I picked-up a copy of both, Fun with Magic and More Fun with Magic..both retired library books.

Bobby, I remember Magic Wherever You Are..and I too wish I could find a copy...Another early favorite of mine was, I believe, "Magic From Your Pocket"...if I got the title correct. It is fascinating that you got to meet Mr. Severn. If I had been fortunate enough to have met him when I was young (back in the 70's) I would have been tounge-tied...LOL.

Mark