The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Time travel (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2024, ed rhodes wrote:
OK, went through the thread AGAIN to see if THIS had been mentioned... and it hadn't;

SPOILERS - If YOU haven't seen the movie, "Avengers - Endgame," don't read this.

I've just seen "Avengers - Endgame." A big deal is made of the fact that they can't go back and stop Thanos from doing the snap, because that will only create an alternate universe. So they have to get the Infinity Stones from periods in the past, (Thanos destroys the current stones) rebuild the gauntlet and "snap" everone back. (Presumably taking into account the position of the Earth five years ago, AND people who'd been on trasports like planes or ships, or even cars. (You wouldn't want to "blink" back on a busy super highway, now would you.) A plot point is that, in the past, Thanos finds out about their scheme and travels to the future to RE-snap the universe. Huge battle, Thanos ends up fighting people whose lives he ruined (hi, Wanda) who he has no idea who they are. At the end, (this spoiler should be well known by now) the snap is interrupted by Tony, who manages to steal the stones off of Thanos' gaunlet and put them on one HE'S constructed for himself. He snaps, and Thanos and his entire army are reduced to dust.

Wait!

Thanos hadn't done the first snap yet! So, are we saying the first snap never happened? I'm confused.

Also, a paradox. One of the characters runs into her early self and kills her. But SHE herself doesn't cease to exist!

That's what you get when you put superheroes, magic, quantum physics, aliens AND then TIME TRAVEL all together!

Back To The Future was bad enough, Endgame!?

I just stopped trying to make sense of it all really and just enjoy the show! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I enjoyed the show. The ending would have been just a "???" to me if they hadn't gone all out on the fact that they couldn't change the past because it would just create an alternate timeline. (Which I brought up earlier in this thread in an issue of "Marvel Two In One" where the Thing goes back in time and cures his earlier self, but doesn't get cured when he returns to the present, because all that happened was a new timeline.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
When a lot of things are written after the fact as a prequel or as time travel, this happens a lot. At least from my experience.

The exceptions have been when it was written in the beginning as a whole series of movies with the time travel all thought out.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-