The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Review - BONESAW (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
I just received my order of the BONESAW DVD today from HocusPocus (very fast order and delivery!) today!
I couldn't wait to watch it ... here is the effect:

A spectator chooses a card and signs her name on the face. You tear a hole just large enough for your finger and put your initial on the card as well. Two more cards, stapled together, have corresponding holes. The spectator watches as you slide her card between the others. She sees the holes aligned and you slide your finger through. With your finger in place, you show the spectator that her signed card is still trapped inside the stapled pair. You show her that the card is trapped on both the outer and inner ends ? both sides. Her card is clearly stuck between the cards and pinned by your finger. Then you have her pull on her card. There is only one direction it can go. It cuts smoothly through your finger and finally emerges. No tears. No switches. Everything in view. The card with her signature, and yours, is hers to keep.

Here you can watch the demo-video:
http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/magic-tr......eleased/

The DVD and the explanation is clear and you will see every detail of trick:
- the trick
- the gimmick
- the presentation
- the position

It's a wonderful nice little illusion with your finger and a card! It's very easy to built the gimmick (you can use it for every performance) and also the presentation but the effect is very strong!

It's the first magic-hit of the year for me!
WALTHER
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Could you please add a full length review?
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
THEGUY26,
please let me know what you want to know?
WALTHER
Michelangelo
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of Michelangelo
Gitty!

I haven't had the chance to spend much time here on the Café for a while, but a friend of mind saw your post and told me I'd better get back in gear! Thanks for your thorough review and -- most especially -- for your very kind words about the effect. It's heartening to see that our many hours of work have found a home. I hope you have as much fun performing the effect as I have and I hope your audiences are just as entertained.

I'll be around the Café more regularly if anyone has any questions. Thanks again!

Michelangelo
--------------
Michelangelo
www.illusionist.net
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Can the stapled cards be inspected after the performance?
Thanks.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Michelangelo
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of Michelangelo
Because you give all the props to the spectators before the trick even gets going, I rarely even have anyone ask to see them again afterward. When the trick is done, it would lessen the effect to bring attention back to the props instead of focusing on the audience reactions, which are invariably strong. However, without putting more into my answer than I'd care to, if someone asks to see the props you can easily accommodate them.
--------------
Michelangelo
www.illusionist.net
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
How does this effect differ from Steve Fearson's Thumb Thing?

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
It is a trick in itself to have a video available and devoted to one effect, yet disallows you from seeing what is going on. I am suspicious of a video that basically taunts you and keeps you from fully seeing how the effect plays out. There are simply too many fadeouts, angles, etc. to get a good idea of what the audience really sees.

Gianni
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Gianni,

I agree.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Michelangelo
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of Michelangelo
I can't fathom exactly what could be missing. The only action not shown in the video is tearing the hole in the spectator's card, which isn't necessary. You see the spectator sign the card. You see me line up the holes and insert my finger. You see me show the card from both ends. You see it being pulled free and kept by the spectator. There are clips from three different performances included and they were edited together so that it would be clear that the effect works repeatedly. In other words, I didn't just get a "lucky take" and that's all that's shown. It works every time just as described. Clearly, Mr. Gitty in the first post above was pleased with his purchase (and thanks again for the kind review!)

The "Thumb Thing" is cool. I hadn't seen it previously -- and for the record "Bonesaw" is based on work I published in the 80's. It seems that the "Thumb Thing" is a self-contained unit -- I could be wrong. "Bonesaw" appears to be different in that it allows the cards to separate, you can have the spectator sign the card before it is inserted, and the spectator pulls it free and keeps it. Works well for me.

Michelangelo
--------------
Michelangelo
www.illusionist.net
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Interesting, I will give it a try. thanks.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for my side as well
Cards never lie
shak
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of shak
I just received my copy of Bonesaw. A great illusion. Can't wait to perform it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Bonesaw by Blacks Magic
Medium: DVD
Arena: Card trick
Available: Any shop, Distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Bonesaw is an interesting mini illusion that uses cards and for extra fun you get to put it together. I don’t know why but I enjoy things that I get to tear and glue and work on to get ready to perform, I find it relaxing. This is a neat effect that I think the street assassins and hallway hit men will really like and even the strollers out there will find it of interest. This is a bit angle challenged if you work standing for those that are seated, but if you get a situation where the spectator is looking down on your hands you are good to go. The effect is you have a spectator pick a card and a hole large enough to stick your finger through is torn into it. This card is signed and then slid into a card sandwich that you previously make and have stapled together, kind of a sleeve made of cards, these also have holes in them. You insert the signed card, you toss on your initials for the fun of it, and place your finger through the holes. The spectator can then slowly pull their card out, through your finger, and their card is intact minus the hole.

The instructions are on DVD and you get a supply of cards to use, which is nice, Bicycle are the preferred card because you have the circles there to tear out. You will have to prepare the card sleeve, which I enjoy doing, but it is clearly explained and not a problem to make. The gimmick is pretty well thought out but you may want to make another non gimmicked sleeve should you be one of those people who can’t resist handing out items to be examined…I don’t let items be examined even if they can be but many can’t seem to say no to requests. The look of the effect is very good but you do have to watch your angles from low level eyes or your efforts will be exposed. I did this and it was fun to do and while not jaw dropping magic the spectators got a kick out of it. If you are into unusual things with cards this is right up your alley. I liked it.