The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Torn paper to dove (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
I saw a magician tear a piece of white paper and it visibly turned into a small white bird. I'd like to do this prior to my orange, lemon, egg and canary routine. Does anyone know where I can purchase this effect?
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jonathan, I'm not sure exactly what effect you saw but I'm pretty sure it's not a marketed effect. It's a standard effect that most of us dove workers do in one form or another. Did he produce the dove from the paper or "toss" the paper toward the audience changing it to a dove?

More importantly, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but have you worked with doves before? It's a big investment, more so than a canary. There's training, special food, weeks of practice, lot's of cleaning and a lot of dedication. It's almost a full time job even with just one bird.
Where the magic begins
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
It could be Torn pieces of paper thrown toward the empty hand with a invisible dove harness hook up
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
This actually sounds like it was done with a bird smaller than a dove. Probably a white Zebra finch or white parakeet type of bird.

We use the Zebra finch in our OLE"F" with a custom made cage. Their pure white really contrasts inside of the black bars on the cage and make them very visible from the cheap seats. It also gives a consistency with the doves we use.

Think torn and restored napkin and you have the solution. However, if it was the other guy's own routine, you may want to contact him and ask if it is ok for you to do.

All the best,

Rob