The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! :: Performing Christian Magic... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SoulGrind
View Profile
New user
Northern California
20 Posts

Profile of SoulGrind
WOW... I haven't been on the MC for awhile. I typically hang out on the Illusionist forums and I started a thread there for Christian Magicians. But it's nice to see an entire forum dedicated to the subject! Color me impressed!

Anyway - I have been an FCM member for a year as of November 2007. I have been performing Christian magic for about 2-3 years now.

I've been lucky I guess. I started off learning magic at the ripe young age of 9 or 10 (the lines are blurry here) but only recently started getting into Christ-centered magic.

To date, I have performed for our local, annual event in Santa Rosa, California known as "City Kids." City Kids is put on by a coalition of approximately 30+ churches from the area to help underprivileged children get the school supplies they need. We put on quite a festival, including, but not limited to puppet shows, live music, games and events, and of course, magic. I performed for our 2006 event.

I also performed for my very own church on Oct. 31st, 2006 for our "Hallelujah Harvest" where I dazzled the kiddies with various gospel magic tricks and other fun illusions.

This year, I was unable to perform for City Kids, but I did perform for the Sebastopol Christian Church during their "Fall Festival" on Oct. 31st, 2007.

My piece de resistance for the year was my very first stage show for 150+ person at my church on Nov. 18th, 2007 where I was the opening act. I performed a 35-40 minute show themed around Thanksgiving; specifically, God's Promises. The show consisted of the following illusions...

Dock Haley's Crystal Tube mixed with Elemendo
Lota Bowl Routine with scripture from 1 Kings 17 - Running gag throughout performance
Silk from Silk using a TT
God's Instruction Book (see Christian Conjuror, Nov/Dec 2006)
Change Bag (Torn & Restored King of Hearts)
Professor's Nightmare (see Christian Conjuror, Nov/Dec 2007)
Ring on String effect
The Foolishness of Unforgiveness (see Christian Conjuror, Nov/Dec 2006)
Dock Haley's Disolvo Paper + Wonder Pad
Give It Up To Gain (see Christian Conjuror, Jul/Aug 2007)

The performance was well received. I was even approached for another gig. I must say, I have truly been enjoying performing magic with a Christ-centered message.

I also perform magic for secular (non-Christian) events as well.

Now, if I can just find an FCM club near my Santa Rosa location, I'd be happy. Seems the closest is in Sacramento, CA but I've tried sending email as well as calling direct to get further information about the Sacramento, CA chapter, but I have never received an answer to my inquiry.

If anyone knows of a Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area) FCM chapter, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Caine Hörr (The Amazing Caine)
http://www.amazingcaine.com
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
SoulGrind -
Welcome to the Fellowship! Sounds like there is a real joy in your journey.

I would suggest you check out FCM.org There is a forum there and you may get a more direct response regarding California meetings by posting over there.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
SoulGrind
View Profile
New user
Northern California
20 Posts

Profile of SoulGrind
Phill,

I have posted there a few times. However, I [personally] find the FCM message board to be a bit cumbersome and lacking some of the base features found in most modern message forums (ie vBulletin or similar message systems). Nothing against the FCM mind - just the message board system they have in place.

Anyway - I did post on this exact subject. I did receive a little feedback from Steve Varro and a few others. But it doesn't hurt to check elsewhere too. ;-)

I do get a lot of joy and pleasure out of performing, especially on the Christian side of the magical fence. It's been a wonderful journey thus far.

Thanks for the reply.
Caine Hörr (The Amazing Caine)
http://www.amazingcaine.com
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
My pleasure.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
brownsentertainment
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of brownsentertainment
SoulGrind - Thanks for sharing some ideas for gospel shows.