The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Posey with front and side arm straps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Derkomai
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Derkomai
Hello everyone, I'm new, not even really an escape artist but I'm amusing myself by learning many, often considered, unusual skills.

I figured out on my own how I can get out of a correctly fitting ungimmicked Posey with my arms in the loops, and I was curious how this is commonly done? Or how it's done if the arms are through the loops and wrapped behind the back?

Also, do many escape artists combine a SJ escape with unicycling, rola bola, or ropewalking?

Dorian
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
Sadly you're most likly to get many responses saying it's a "trade secret", and the fact of the matter is that it is indeed a trade secret. Keep in mind this is an open forum. Albeit not one of the most visited rooms of the Café.

I myself could only afford one SJ and got one that doesn't have those loops. I was unsure that I'd be able to get out of any SJ so I got one I thought I definitely could get out of. However, I do know that not all EA's can get out of SJ's with the belly and side loops and their arms crossed.

I imagine it just takes lots of practice and more practice and a little know how. I'm sure that's what others will chime in and say.

As for your other question, EA's are always looking for ways to be original with their SJ escapes and always looking for new angles. Most of them have already been done... underwater, on a balancing ball, EVEN SKYDIVING!!

This is not to say it's lost it's entertainment value, just that it is done from time to time by various EA's looking to make a name.

Hope this was helpful.
~Spiff
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Dorian

Spiff is correct in what he says above. You are unlikely to get a direct answer about that here. It is just too public a place. Read the information about other escapes, such as rope, and see how that info can be applied to a Posey.

I do an escape from an ungimmicked Posey and would like to do it on a tightwire. I can pick handcuffs while on the tightwire (sometimes while blindfold), have done a SJ escape on a unicycle (not with a Posey) and I have escaped from the Posey while on stilts. I am rubbish at rola bola so I don't think I will be doing that one any time soon. Though it is a great idea Smile

Have fun

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Derkomai
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Derkomai
I think I'm missing something here. Ungimmicked means no tricks right, so if I watched somebody do it I'd be able to see how they do it. It just takes practice to learn.

I know anyone watching me get out of one would be able to see that I use nothing but my own body, nothing hidden, so how is it a trade secret?

Could you just tell me this, is there more used than the jacket and your body? Y or N

Dorian
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Dorian

Ungimmicked means that the equipment is standard. Not altered in any way to make it easier to escape from. Nor designed in such a way as to aid escape. But, no tricks is a different matter. the equipment might not be tricked, but that doesn't mean that the EA doesn't use any tricks to escape.

Again. I would advise you to look into rope escapes etc and see where you think the info could be applied to SJ.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2003-02-26 14:16, Derkomai wrote:
I think I'm missing something here. Ungimmicked means no tricks right, so if I watched somebody do it I'd be able to see how they do it. It just takes practice to learn.
Dorian

Just because the jacket is ungimmicked does not mean that certain 'performace techniques' are not used to make the escape look one way to the audience versus how it is actually performed. So, just because you THINK you are seeing an escape performed one way, doesn't mean that you know the 'secret'. But, if you have enough determination, really all that is needed is the jacket and your body. It's all in how it's presented!!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Derkomai
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Derkomai
Sorry to continue with this, but I'll try phrasing my question in a way so that the answer wouldn't give away any secrets.

I get out of the jacket by undoing the crotch strap with my feet and working the rest over my head. Have you seen many other escape artists use this technique? I thought of it myself and want to see if I stumbled upon a common practice or not. See, it's not really important to me HOW other people do it just if they do it this way.

And if you still won't tell me, are there any books that might have the answer?

Dorian