The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Amyx Dove Wire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
EdwardHilsum
View Profile
Regular user
England
145 Posts

Profile of EdwardHilsum
I make a wire loop, then tie the fishing line/catgut onto this loop. Make a few tight knots with the fishing line to secure it onto the loop and add clear nail polish to these if you want it extra tight.

Hope this makes sense!

All the best,

~Eddy
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Albrunaz, you can twist the wire and it will not break. Just don't twist and untwist it. I'm not sure how Andy attaches his wire to the holder but here's what I do.

I make the loop first. Then I slip a small fishing grommet (it's a short tube like piece of metal) onto both ends of the loop. Push the ends through the fabric of the holder, one from each side, bend them back up and into the grommet. Squeeze this tight with a pair of pliers and you're all set. It's quite easy to do.
Where the magic begins
EdwardHilsum
View Profile
Regular user
England
145 Posts

Profile of EdwardHilsum
Oh, I mis-read. I thought you wanted to attatch a catgut line to the wire loop. I find twisting the metal is fine - I just pierce the holder with the wire, twist the ends so it is a loop and cut off the excess.

Dave's way sounds more permanent though.

~Eddy
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yup, my method is more permanent. I'm paranoid about loops coming undone. I've had a few in my time open up at the worst possible time. My method will prevent this from happening.

I don't have too many holder with just the wire loop though. I make the loop out of wire and attach braided line to it. The other end of the line is tied to the holder in the usual manner. I still feed the wire ends through the fishing grommet and squeeze it tight to keep the loop for opening.
Where the magic begins
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
Anyone use the steel fishing wire used for deep sea fishing?
I think Greg Frewin talks about this on his DVD set.

just wanted to hear someone who has used this.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Plus, using the grommet as Dave has described ensures that the end of the wire will not untiwst and poke the dove, potentially harming him.