The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: One handed shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
(In case there are different versions, I mean
the one taught on McBride's AOCM series).

I get to the point where I need to weave the
cards just fine, but I cannot get those
suckers to lace together. The deck just
blocks up and the cards line up in opposition
to each other and refuse to weave! Any hints
would be great, thanks.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
The best way to solve your problems will be for you to check out this site:

http://home.att.net/~sleights/card.htm

A whole description of the One Handed Shuffle.

All the best in magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
My God! I have seriously never been helped
so much with just one reply! I went to that
site and noticed the angle was wrong and
POOF! My first attempt was a success! Thank you!
I guess I never noticed that on AOCM. (Through no fault of Mr. McBride's I assure
you all). Thanks again.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
I am very glad and pleased I could help you. It´s a great site!

I think that this page is very good, maybe one of the best places to learn the one handed shuffle.

It´s great to help people. Smile

All the best in magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
That site is very good. It is exactly the way that I do it, except that it took me several months of trial and error attempts to learn what he teaches in one page.
Also, note that the "faro" sort of weaving is much easier if your deck has a concave bend. If you don't know what that is, it will happen on its own after you repeatedly practice springing the weave together at the end.
By the way, I think that the one-handed shuffle is just about the most impressive card flourish you can do - anyone who sees it can appreciate the rarity of the degree of skill involved.
Diskord
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Diskord
I just want to add something here that was posted in a thread I started (but shouldn't have) that REALLY helped me. I was struggling with the one handed shuffle for a while and then ReyRey Puentes made this post, and it made a world of difference. It didn't solve my problems immediately, but it definitely helped get me on the right track. It seems to obvious now, but at the time it was a brilliant insight, and maybe it can help someone else:
Quote:
Try putting a rubber band around each half and practice doing the separation and handling each half.
The band will keep the cards from falling all over the place and allow you some practice handling both halves.

Once your hands get used to the feel of handling both halves then remove the band and move on to the next phase. Keep trying it'll come! ~rr
trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
Hivemind,
I have the same problem. No matter how hard I try they do not weave. I have been practicing 24/7 for the last week and I just can't get it. I’m still going to keep practicing. Practice is the key to mastering anything.
Michael G
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Michael G
There is a different handling in the Encyclopedia of playing card flourishes. I found it helpful!
bobby
View Profile
New user
Camarillo, CA
72 Posts

Profile of bobby
I can't even attempt the one handed shuffle to do my rheumoatid arthritis...

However someone at my work has been practacing, and that is the ONLY part he still can't do... From what I've read/heard, that one thing is the hardest part of the entire trick...
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Yo can see one handed faro shuffle here:
http://www.mastermagic.info (click on videos)

Mats
http://www.kjellstrom.info
Roman
View Profile
New user
London
42 Posts

Profile of Roman
I had thre same problem til recently.

Here's how I learned:

Onece you are in position, push the bottom corner of the corners facing each other together, and then push. this should make the cards weave from bottom to top, and its much easier this way.

Roman