The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Arthur Coghlan Book (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
"Helen Coghlan puts it in no uncertain terms that nothing in the book may be utilized or performed without her express permission."

No court in the world will enforce that. Magic book purchasers can publicly perform the contents inside. Do your escape shows if you want. She can't stop anyone.
joshjmill
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
8 Posts

Profile of joshjmill
Thank you for your response! That does validate how I feel about the situation, so thank you for the encouragement haha

I did end up reselling the book to another magician. I let them know before the purchase what was said in the book about performance rights, whether or not they are enforceable, and they decided that they would like it just for the sake of collecting it. I hardly think I am of the status that, even if I did build one of the escapes described and perform it...it would probably never be seen by anyone who would choose to try and enforce anything, but I figured it's not worth the hoops or headaches should that be the case. Brilliant methods described within! But...nothing worth causing conflict with more influential performers than myself over.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
You're welcome! I have seen other magic books with performance rights disclaimers. What is the point of publishing magic and escape effects if the buyer won't be allowed to perform them. This is nonsense.