The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: State of magic in India (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
For several years now, I've heard rumors about the state of magic in India, that it has almost died out as an art form there due to local governments trying to ban panhandling of tourists.

When one considers that India is one of the oldest homes to magic and is the origin of the most famous magic trick of all, the Indian Rope Trick, what can be done to keep this vital link to magic's past alive?
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Since the origin of the Indian rope trick is probably the English press, that may not be a good analogy. However, consider that three major magic manufacturers are located in India. These are Tayade, Giri and Uday, and there may be more.

Doesn't sound dead to me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Perhaps I should have clarified, but I was tired at the time I wrote the original post.

I know that the famous Indian Rope Trick, as described in various pieces of literature, has never actually been seen performed in modern times, if ever. The origins for what I call "The most famous trick that never was" is shrouded in myth and mystery.

As for magic in India, I wasn't talking about manufacturers of illusions, I meant magic as a street venue and done for busking involving fakirs and the like. I am sure that there are other performance styles that are in danger as well due to government restrictions.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
What kind of restriction is the government imposing on? Would be good to know about it too.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are still buskers in India. What makes you think there aren't?

There is an IBM ring in India, Ring 261, which meets on the second Sunday afternoon, in Tamilmandu.

In the August Linking Ring, there were some presentations of street magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Bill, with those activities going on, this shows that magic is very active in India.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
My understanding was that many of the street performers were living in a place called Shadapa Depot (no, I don't know if that's the correct spelling) and was one of the few places left where they could perform openly.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, rather than post any more, I decided to send an e-mail to one of the magic sites in India. When I find out more, I will post it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Thanks, Bill. I was watching a show called World's Greatest Illusions that I had taped eons ago and that's where I got most of my information. I have heard similar things from other sources over the years. It would really be sad to see street magic/busking legislated out of existence, as that is how many tourists envision India, at least in part, when they go over there.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Here's a thread that indicates one of the activities happening in India ...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......96&0
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill,

Thank you! When in doubt, go for authority.

I'm looking forward to your findings. Decades ago I was offered an opportunity to perform there and simply could not at the time. With a new baby and sick wife going that far way was not an option. Now that new baby is an adult college grad still playing baseball and unfortunately his mom died long ago. Given the chance now, I would likely go.

It will be interesting to see what is going on there now.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I haven't heard back from them yet.