The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: IBM Ring in Northern California - Do they exist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SoulGrind
View Profile
New user
Northern California
19 Posts

Profile of SoulGrind
I recently examined the IBM's page [http://www.magician.org/LocalRings/california.htm] concerning local chapters specific to California with particular interest in Northern California as that is where I am from.

The closest to me is San Francisco - so the IBM page would have me believe.

So I drove on out to San Francisco (luckily, I actually work there on a regular basis) and went hunting for Ring 38 (after work).

After about an hour or so of driving in circles, I came to the realization that I may have been chasing a red herring. Ergo, I whipped out my trusty iPhone, obtained the contact info for the Ring Leader of Ring 38, a Mr. Art Gagne and dialed him up as for further information.

AMAZINGLY I actually got ahold of Mr. Art Gagne and we had the nicest 3-minute chat about how Ring 38 didn't exist anymore because of a lack of interest and that the IBM has done nothing to update their web site of this information.

Needless to say, I was a bit bummed by this news.

Now, according to the IBM, the next closest ring is in Sacramento, CA - That's about 2 hours away from where I live. I'm not overly thrilled at the idea of driving 2 hours just for a meeting of some sort. I have yet to confirm that the Sacramento Ring (Ring 192) is even in operation.

I am just wondering, is there any Ring's going on in San Francisco or maybe north of the gate, up in Wine Country? I think we have a SAM club here... but what about IBM?

If anybody knows anything, I'd be keen on hearing from you!

Thanks.

EDIT: For the sake of curiosity - I looked up the Sacramento Ring... According to Yahoo maps, that's a distance of 117.5 miles, approximately 1 hour 52 minutes away. And the are 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7 PM. Too far to drive with work and rush hour traffic. C'est la vie!
Caine Hörr (The Amazing Caine)
http://www.amazingcaine.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Soulgrind,

Welcome to the Café! Sorry to hear about your red herring chase, but hopefully it was a nice drive.

I'd suggest contacting Richard Myer (below) about the IBM in Northern California. He is the IBM's Territorial Vice President for N. CA. and will know what is, and is not, going on as far as the IBM and active clubs.

-----------
CALIFORNIA (NORTHERN) - Richard T. Myer, 3005 Ribera Rd, Carmel, CA 93923
Phone: 831-626-8681 Cell: 831-402-3079
E-mail: rtmyer@aol.com
----------

You might also contact the local (?) magic shops in the area and find other magicians. You could also ask Richard Myer if he can get you the names and numbers of other IBM members in your area to start meeting with. Could be you could start your own club (even if not affiliated with a national organization) and meet some great people in the process.

Hope this helps. Mark.
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Hi Soulgrind,

There is an IBM Ring 216 in San Jose, great group of magicians meet 2nd Wed. of each month. Her is the website for more information:
http://ring216.org
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hello Soulgrind,

Just where abouts do you live in Northern California? It does cover a large area.I am currently in the Sacramento Ring you can PM me on that one. I know of contacts in the Sonoma area as well.

welcome,

Dr. solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
SoulGrind
View Profile
New user
Northern California
19 Posts

Profile of SoulGrind
Quote:
Just where abouts do you live in Northern California? It does cover a large area.I am currently in the Sacramento Ring you can PM me on that one. I know of contacts in the Sonoma area as well.

welcome,

Dr. solar

As stated in my original post, I'm from the Wine Country area - specifically the Santa Rosa area, ergo, Sonoma is right in the ball park! ;-)

I have recently located the SAM club in my area, but I'm still interested in checking out an IBM Ring. Anyway - any info you may be able to provide would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Caine Hörr (The Amazing Caine)
http://www.amazingcaine.com
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
Hey everyone,

Good thing I found this thread or I would've been on the chase later this month as well. It appears as if the information on the Ring website is still outdated if they don't meet anymore.. or do they? is Art Gagne here on the Café somewhere? Also, if the Ring here in SF does not meet anymore, I would like help get it started again.

-Dane
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
It is too bad that Ring 38 has disappeared. I enjoyed being a part of it for many years and once was the ring president. I guess when Woodie Woodward passed away, the Ring lost its momentum. Woodie was a tireless promoter of Ring activities.

Meanwhile, you might make the trek to Ring 216 in San Jose, which probably is closer to you than Sacramento. In Ring 216, we have an active program and some outstanding magicians. Also, we frequently participate in the Magic Garage, which is a sort of homemade Magic Castle set up by our former president Will Chandler. The Garage offers a chance to work on tricks with video taping equipment and to showcase an act with lay audiences about once every two months or so.

Come down and see us--the Silicon Valley Ring in San Jose. By the way the Oakland Magic Circle and SAM Palo Alto have excellent programs too.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I am a past president of Ring 38 and I am bummed that the club fizzled out but not totally surprised. We tried to do a 2 day convention when I was president but could not get the support of the local magic community..we had to cancel. Wish we could get it back on track though.
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
As one of the last Presidents of Ring 38, I, too, was sad that it folded. The main problem was the group was aging and no new blood was coming aboard. No one wanted to perform. No one wanted to even talk with each other. It doesn't take Rocket Science to determine why the group folded.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Does anyone know if their is an active club in the Sacramento area? Gonna be visiting next month.
garymey
View Profile
New user
gary meyer
28 Posts

Profile of garymey
I just stumbled upon this string and wanted to let people know there are lot of bay area clubs, some more active than others.Sadly Santa Rosa no longer has one nor any other North Bay groups but there are four in the East Bay, three in Silicon Valley, one in San Francisco, and three in Sacramento.

The Oakland Magic Circle has it's annual Northern California Interclub Stage Contest on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024. A great place ot meet other magicians and learn about the various clubs. Plus see some fine performers competing for $500 in cash and more. More info here.https://oaklandmagiccircle.com/
OMC will be 100 years old next year and has about 85 current members.
garymey
View Profile
New user
gary meyer
28 Posts

Profile of garymey
And by the way, Caine who posted the first part of this thread is a member of OMC.