The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Making Throw Streamers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Ok...I need to make a lot of throw streamers for relatively Cheap! A friend of mine needs a whole bunch of them for Halloween, and he can't afford to spend $4 per throw.

I'm thinking of using gift wrapping ribbon you can get at a dollar store (usually 400+ feet for $1).....

Anyone have any tips on how to wrap them so that they shoot out with a flick of the wrist? I would like to have about 4-5 streamers per bundle. I'm thinking of putting a little weight on the ends, but don't know what would be heavy enough to pull the ribbon, but not too heavy as to hurt anyone who it might hit.

Also, maybe ribbon isn't the best material, but I think it should be since it's not flammable, and relatively cheap and is already the perfect thickness.

Thanks.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
It is very difficult to make throw streamers, and not worth it.

Ebay. Type in throw coils. The ones I have are very good, and cost only about a dollar per throw. I use the small ones, which have 10 streamers per throw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Throw-Coils-SMALL-Wh......ViewItem

Or, you can get Cresey coils just about anywhere for around $15 and get 24 of them. I personally think the are harder to use, and don't look as good.
-Matt
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Have you tried the kabuki streamers?
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Yeah...those are $4 a throw :S way too expensive.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Take wide small rolls of adding machien tape and slice them on a band saw.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 10:59, leapinglizards wrote:
Take wide small rolls of adding machien tape and slice them on a band saw.

Is this tape connected to the spindal? Or would bits of plastic fly out at the end of the toss.

Also, this type of paper is stiffer than tissue paper. The typical method is to throw the streamer and
then pull it back in quickly. Would you wind up with a bunch of paper cuts doing this?

Just curious if you've done this before, and how well it worked.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
I'm looking for ideas on what to attach to the ends of ribbon to weigh it down enough to actually shoot out. I think I'm going to go with ribbon instead of tissue paper, just because it seems like the perfect thing:

A) it's already the thickness needed
B) multi coloured
3) not flammable

Unless someone has experience with this, and suggests NOT using ribbon and going with tissue paper instead.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
You pop the core out after you saw them. Have used the them for throw, hat and mouth coils.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com