The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Windsor Magic Company (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
WesRay
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of WesRay
Anyone remember Windsor Magic Company? I think they were based out of Illinois. I remember seeing their ad in the back of an issue of Boys Life when I was around 10 or 11, and then writing them a letter and requesting a catalog. They sent it and soon thereafter, I ordered my first few magic tricks.

From there, I discovered Abbotts, Russell Lewis' Magic Palace (I think that was the name?) and a few other places. But Windsor's always has a special place in my heart. Their catalogs were always so slick and well-organized.

I remember that their logo on the catalog had a magician with a mustache pulling a rabbit out of a top hat. I've done several web searches for them on Yahoo and Google, but turn up nothing. It's like they never existed. Are they still around? If not, what happened to them? They seemed like a big operation when I ordered from them when I did, but I guess that's been around 16 years ago now. Abbotts is still around. Is Windsor? Anyone else remember them? Have any Windsor stories/memories to share?
intervalmagic
View Profile
New user
San Diego
17 Posts

Profile of intervalmagic
Fourteen years later, here's a reply. Although I hadn't heard of Windsor Magic Company, I enjoy the history of magicians and magic dealers that don't get as much attention as the bigger players. That said, here's a little info on Windsor.

In the November 7, 1990 edition of the Chicago Tribune, p. 58, there was a display ad for Windsor (see attached image). At the time, it directed catalog requests and other mail-order inquiries to 200 West Devon Ave., Suite 15, Bensenville IL 60106.

Roughly two years later, in the October 1992 issue of Boys' Life, p. 54, Windsor had a small display ad again promoting its catalog (see attached image), with the address of 506 Windgate Court, Arlington Heights IL 60005. That address is a townhouse. Maybe this is the ad to which @WesRay referred; it was the only one I could find.

About seven months after the Boys' Life ad, there was a classified ad selling the Windgate Court townhouse in the Chicago Tribune, May 2, 1993, Sec. 16, p. 15 (see attached image). Perhaps Windsor's owner moved out or died.

Maybe someone else will contribute to this string 14 years from now because that's all I have.

Tom

Click here to view attached image.