The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Review: Ellusionist Hovercard DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
459 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Hey all, just wanted to give a quick review of the Hovercard DVD by Ellusionist. I haven't seen anyone review it.

I won't really get into the Hovercard itself, as this isn't the forum for that, but I will just say it's a great little effect, though very angle sensitive.

I already knew what the gimmick was, as a friend had this. He let me handle it a little, and I liked it, so I bought it from Ellusionist (now that they have the exclusive on it), and ordered the DVD to go with it hoping to get some tips on techniqe and routines.

Unfortunately, the DVD really doesn't go into much to do with the Hovercard, and instead is really geared toward beginners. The DVD takes time to explain how to force a card (criss cross) and how to double lift ("this is what's known as a double lift," Brad Christian says).

It's really a shame - to be a good effect, the Hovercard really shouldn't be a beginner trick like that. I had hoped the DVD would offer a bit more in the way of technique and routines, but it doesn't.

I would avoid this DVD. If you're so new to magic that you don't know what a double lift is, the Hovercard is not for you yet. And if you already know what a double lift is, this DVD will only annoy you.

Matt
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3069 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Great review, and thnaks for the opinions and warnings.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
459 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Yeah - it's also annoying how Ellusionist marked the price up $10 once it got the exclusive. As if having an exclusive on an item somehow costs them more. Argh. In reality, they just know we have no where else to go to get the effect.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the review - it was more or less what I expected, considering the target customers of E
Cards never lie
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Matt, thanks for the info.!