The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Loading a real egg with an object (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hi,

I am coming up with a routine where I need to load an egg with a key. I would like to know how to go about loading an egg like this while keeping it intact - then cover up the hole with something deceptive. It would be great if a spectator could be the one who cracks it rather than myself, but it doesn't matter too much.

Or if this is for the too hard basket, it might be best just to palm the key, crack an ungimmicked egg - dropping the key with the egg contents into a glass.

How would you do this?
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hmmmmmm,

You could Dremmel a hole into the egg (maybe freeze it first?) put the key in and then cover it up with a red sticker.

You could then crack it at the end of your Silk to Egg routine (which would also destroy the evidence). Just make sure when you remove the sticker from the egg that it's more facing you...

If you could put a good seal over the whole and then put the sticker over the seal, I might even load the key into a full egg...

Just brainstorming,

Jamie D. Grant
http://www.whatizit.net
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
There is already an effect on the market that will allow this... It is called "Hatching" http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/hatching.htm
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, leapinglizards. Will take a look. Sounds like something I can use.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks, I was not aware of this . . .
Cards never lie
Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
I tried this once to see if it would work in theory, but didn't use it in a routine. It's a little labor-intensive and you can't use a borrowed object (unless you borrow it hours in advance), but it looks kinda nice:

*Blow out an egg to make a hollow shell with a needle (like people do to make hollow dyed eggs at easter).
*Seal the top hole (I used some sort of plastery caulk that we had around the house...don't recall the name, but many items at Home Depot or in your garage would probably work).
*Bore out the bottom hole to make it larger with a rasp, dremel, bit, etc. and place your object in the egg. This works better for very small or compressible objects (I used a little carved skull).
*Use a syringe (the ones that come with printer refill kits work well) to inject the egg white from another egg into the hole and seal it.
*Lightly sand down the patched areas.

In theory, you could also try to inject an egg yolk as well. It would be slightly scrambled, but spectators might assume it was just a result of the process of breaking the egg. I like just the whites, because it leaves your concealed object in place of the yolk. For a more gruesome touch, you could add some red food coloring to the whites, or use fake blood.
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 07:05, leapinglizards wrote:
There is already an effect on the market that will allow this... It is called "Hatching" http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/hatching.htm

I'm sure it's an interesting effect, but I honestly can't tell anything about it from the videos on the website.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

It's pretty direct. signed borrowed coin (Or any thin flat object) ends up in an egg. And, it IS really INSIDE at the end. No switch of object.

As presented, the signed coin penetrates the egg, but can also be used as a vanish and reappearance.
<BR>
EggMagic
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Fl
44 Posts

Profile of EggMagic
Oooooooh! Egg magic! I'll have to check it out! I always enjoy mixing a few efects that use real eggs in among fake eggs, this way, it helps cement in teh idea that the fake eggs are also real.
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
550 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
Sankey has an idea on his 1999 (I think) video.
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For small objects like finger rings, never rule out the advantages of have it just slide down the wand!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Just found out the guy who invented Hatching and two other marketed effects has his own TV show of street magic coming in his country, El Salvador! Neat! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cVKuThP11I
<BR>
daviddeltoro
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of daviddeltoro
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 00:10, scottds80 wrote:
would like to know how to go about loading an egg like this while keeping it intact

Hi scott, the solution to your problem can be found in Carl Cloutier's video the "Third Hand", he loads a signed bill inside a real egg. Was a part of his fism act since he wanted to do something different asn the bill in kiwi.

Another idea can be the old egg stand used to load a borrowed ring inside the real egg.
Can be found in one of the Pr Hoffmann's books. The idea is really simple and I have seen that has been comercializated again. This concept a little bit longer can do the trick for you.

David
EggMagic
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Fl
44 Posts

Profile of EggMagic
I posted the same day as the crash that I was going to order this hatched trick, but that post vanished during the restoration...

But, I have since purchased this as an E book and I was REALLY impressed with the method, the PDF and the service!

The method was almost as neat as the trick to me...
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
You can gaff the egg cup which may sound quite strange.
PD does it in his malini show.
daviddeltoro
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of daviddeltoro
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 14:34, Elliott Hodges wrote:
You can gaff the egg cup which may sound quite strange.
PD does it in his malini show.

Well Elliott, that was I said that can be found in Hoffmann's books or old books of magic. The gimmick is the egg cup. The idea is brilliant and amazing.

The pattern should be using a ring vanish silk or Paul Gertner's idea or what you prefer but actually you have loaded the ring in the cup with the chosen egg, the the "ring" dissapear and can be found in the egg.

David.