The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Illusions on The Street (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Have any of you used any illusions or escapes in your street performances? For example Sub. Trunk, Wakeling Sawing, Twister etc. Many of these will require an assistant in the know. Please comment on what you have used or seen and the role an assistant plays with illusions or in general street magic. Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have performed an escape on the streets. I performed the 100-foot rope escape (OK, OK, I confess I only had 75 feet! (That’s the 30.5-meter rope escape using 23 meters of rope for our metric friends – somehow it loses the impact when we say 30 rather than 100!)

I did some tricks to gather the crowd then used the escape as the central act. Not a lot of props. A coil of rope, thumb tip and silk, and a deck of cards was all I had. It was all carried in a backpack. Of course I had my hat! That was summer in Padre Island back in the 60’s!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I've seen Sub Trunks, Harbin Chair suspension, various escape acts, a zig-zag, and a bunch of other stuff that I thought was quite unusual for the street. Some of it worked some didn’t. In the fading afternoon sun the sub trunk escape I saw was more of an exposition than a magic trick. Rule of thumb, when using an illusion that requires a curtain keep the sun in front of you.

Most big illusions like those I’ve mentioned can play well on the street. As a matter of fact, you really can do just about anything on the street and make it play well. It may take some redesign, new thoughts on cover and misdirection, but all is fair game.

The problem comes in as a matter of practicality. Most buskers use a portable show. We are the kings and queens of the pack flat play big school of thought these days. Most of the best ideas for material for the street were found in the works of the pros that did cabaret and vaudeville. Billy McComb and especially his books “25 years later” and “The first book of William” have been treasure troves for me. I am a comedy magician and there is no finer resource than Mr. McComb in my opinion.

Bits play an important part for the street performer as well as any dead time is the time people will walk away. Something always has to be happening. I’ve used bits from Vaudeville blackouts, things from antique Robert Orben books inherited from my dad, and even stuff from George DeLawrence. These were all guys who did what I do. Billy McComb had one of the most popular cruise ship acts in the world up until he stopped cruising and from what I understand most of it played from his pockets. To me that is elegant understatement. To be able to give so much entertainment with so little hardware is very impressive to me as a busker.

Grand Illusion is tough to play on the street. There is a lot to lug about, assistants that need to be used, maybe even staff to help set up and tear down. At the end of all that you pass the hat. Even in the best of venues a person wouldn’t make any more than the great juggler around the corner or certainly not Gazzo killing them with a table top and a set of cups and balls.

Escapes on the other hand, are very lucrative. You can draw a crowd and spend thirty minutes escaping from the straight jacket and make a very flush hat. Unless your only motivation is money I think most magicians would find it greatly unsatisfying creatively. You will have after all, become a one trick pony. But, you will be a trick pony with an ironclad payday.

As with everything on the street if there is a will, there will be a hat.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I agree wholeheartedly about McComb's material. Billy is not only one of those acts that are worth watching over and over again, he plays for every type of audience.

At eighty he is opening for the rough young crowds of Amazing Jonathon. He has six twenty-five minute shows that fit in one small briefcase.

He is the best.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
is there a contact nimber for billy mccomb...also...does he have video out there....are his books still in print?

koz
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Ahh…Mr. McCombs stuff. The books are out of print but can be found at H&R Books in Texas used.

Steven’s has a brilliant video with Mr. McComb describing some of his most popular stuff including the Himber ring and the whiskey egg bag.

There are two CD volumes available called “The Professional Touch” that are just unbelievable and available everywhere.

There are also some audio recordings from a radio show he did with Terry Seabrooke that are worth looking into.

Mr. McComb also spends a lot of time at the Magic Castle and from what I understand he will be more than happy to talk your ear off on any subject having to do with magic.

He is a national treasure if you are a magician and still a real worker.

The guy is just the best.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
thanks danny...

koz