The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Who owns the "New Stars of Magic" copyright? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Perhaps this has been answered here before, but I couldn't find it with the search. I have wondered for years why the "New Stars of Magic" series had never been gathered and released as a bound volume, as the original "Stars of Magic" series was.
Is there some dispute or question as to who owns the rights to this material?
It would seem to be a sure seller, so I can't believe anyone would consider it a risky publishing venture. I saw a thread on the "Genii" forum that seemed to indicate that no one is exactly sure how many volumes were even released. This seems odd, considering the material is less than 40 years old.
Don S
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
549 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Don;
The New Stars of Magic series was not sold with the shop and business name of Tannens. At least that is what Tony told me at Bob Little's last year. There were so many of them printed, and I do believe that the current Tannen's shop has a lot of them still available, that a reprint or collection may have never entered anyones' mind. Tony Spina would be the one to contact about getting the New Stars bound up same as the older Stars of Magic was done.
The older Stars of Magic was bought by D. Robbins wholesalers when they bought the rights to the Tannen publications years ago. They have reprinted that book a couple of times now, and it is still outstanding material that so many today have no clue even exists.
Hope that has helped.
All the Best
Marty
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Marty,
Thanks, that's what I was trying to learn.
I knew the basic history of the original "Stars of Magic, I bought my copy from Phil Thomas at the old "Yogi Magic Mart" on Charles St., over 30 years ago and it's still one of my best-loved books.
By the way, your card splitting DVD is the best explanation I've seen of what is almost a lost art.
Do you ever get down to Denny and Lee's? I'd like to say hello some time.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
549 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Don:
Many thanks for the kind comments on the DVD, most appreciated.

I bought my Stars of Magic from Phil as well back in the days, It was $7.50, still has the price in it along with Phils sticker.

I get to Baltimore from time to time, but have not been down to Dennys in about a year and a half now. I'll try to make the time to stop down and I'll drop you a line when I'm headed that way.
All the Best
Marty