The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Metal Bending Still Valid? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
First, I think Mr. Murphy a few posts above really had some great things to say on this subject so I fear I have nothing of substance to add. But here goes....

My routine is mostly that of Banachek and also Lee Striblings(sp) Liquid Metal. It is all done impromtu for the most part (atleast as far as the spectator is concerned). I do supply my own forks and this has never been a problem. If someone asks, then I simply tell them that I can not go around destroying the restuarants forks so I buy my own at the same place they do. Most of the time this is true because most do buy from the same restuarant supply store that I buy from. Throughout the routine they are invited to examine, touch, and at one point the bend happens in there hand. From this there is no reason for them to be suspect anymore. I have on occasion been asked to use the restaurants fork and I will do that having gotten premmission in advance from the owner.

As far as the approach goes...honestly, in the restaurant setting it is usually by request. Someone has heard about it and asks for it, or the manager suggest it to a customer, etc. If I am working a venue doing walk around I just do it. I might start with a quarter bend routine, then into the fork routine. In this case having my own forks makes sense, since you will not ususally find cutlery around in these venues. Again, they are invited to examine everything. At one point, when the twist happens in their own hand they are invited to untwist the fork....they cannot...and now they are convinced it is mind power.

Again, I think we as magicians forget what really amazes the lay person....and this one still does, despite whatever exsposure it has suffered....

Dorian

PS. If they ask if I can bend it back I just use the standard "I do magic, not miracles" line and laugh it off.
-Dorian LaChance
BenHFarrar
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of BenHFarrar
Do you guys play it as "psychic ability" or "mind control" or just magic. I just feel that supposed psychic ability just wont play well unless your playing it for comedy (which wont suit the trick). Most people wont believe that your doing it "for real"

Thanks James for your kind words. Will you be at Southport?

Ben
Deucemc
View Profile
Regular user
originally Honolulu, Hawaii
116 Posts

Profile of Deucemc
James Fortune,

Check out Patrik Kuff's work and thoughts on metal bending. He covers bends with other bends. Kinda looks like David Roth with coins if you know what I mean.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Let the manager know you will be doing the trick. And show the manager you have your own silverware. That would help keep the heat from happening. But hope the patrons will not try repeat what you did when leave. If the manager sees the bent remains, he/she will not like it.