The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Your rabbit’s history and instincts. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Most of us have some sense of our own background and heritage, but probably have not thought much about our rabbit’s heritage, but it is really very interesting.

They are direct descendants of the wild European rabbits which originally inhabited the area around Spain and Portugal. Their scientific name is Oryctolagus cuniculus and means “hare-like digger.” They were originally bred in captivity at least 3000 years ago as a source of food and fur. In the 19th century “fancy” rabbit breeding become fashionable and developed into the many shapes and sizes of rabbits we have today.

They are very dependent on our care and are no longer equipped to fend for themselves in the wild. People throw them out in a field (or a city) all the time when the “Easter Bunny” is no longer small and cute. The one instinct they still have is to get away from predators. They have virtually no defense except for a little front paw scratching they sometimes do, and, of course, running away.

This preoccupation with survival from those that will hurt them is manifested in some interesting ways.

Their eyesight is designed for survival. They see two separate fields of view, one to the left and one to the right. When you put your rabbit down in a new location, you will notice that he or she does not move right away. This behavior is for two reasons. First they must sort out the two images ,and then determine what risk they are in if they move. You can really see this decision being made when you place your rabbit in a totally new location.

Another interesting thing about their vision is where the two fields of view actually are. Each eye has only a fragment of vision straight ahead. But the two fields of view actually overlap behind them. With your rabbit “looking” straight ahead, if you get down low and a foot or so behind your rabbit’s butt, you will be surprised to see that both eyes can see you. This is the perfect eyesight for a prey animal to have.

A result of this eyesight is manifested in a term many of us have heard, “rabbit run.” To help in their survival (especially in a newish location) they develop “safe” routes to travel, usually not out in the open. Once they develop theses routes, they can move surprisingly fast. Many of us have seen this as our rabbit gets used to a new room that they are allowed to roam in. For me, this has always been a joy to see as they keep building up speed in the “rabbit runs.”

There is another “defensive move” that you may have the pleasure of seeing if your rabbit has access to an outside area. It is a “maneuver” they often practice the same way a cat “practices” catching toy mice. Your rabbit will jump almost straight up in the air and turn in a new direction on landing. I have heard people (inaccurately) describe this as “my rabbit was so happy to be out in the yard that he jumps for joy in the air.” Not so, almost the exact opposite, but a joy to watch, since you know that you’re keeping him or her safe.

I have bored you long enough, please enjoy your rabbit, but now and then think of what may be going on in his or her very small brain.

Bob
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Bob,

thank you for the post I have observed some of the behavior in my rabbits, now I know why

Interesting insite into the mind of a rabbit
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Thanks for the interesting info Wellington.

I'm actively involved in various animal rescue, the most recent being small animal rescue. I heard about a tiny 2 pound "hutch" bunny that was found frozen and stuck to his cage. Luckily, Arthur was rescued, survived and later transported via "bunny express" to my home several hundreds of miles away. Arthur was already considered senior at 11 years old so too old to be neutered but lives happily with my female spayed bunny.

That was the start of it. The organization that helped Arthur, later opened up a rabbit shelter which I became involved in.

The shelter houses 51 bunnies!!!! - all free range and each one litter boxed trained, spayed and neutered. It's an amazing sight when I walk in the doors and am greeted by that many bunnies! I also brought home many that were in need of some form of TLC - the seniors or special need ones.

Along the way I've become more knowlegable regarding health issues, behavioral issues and the need for education for people that think they make great kid pets. In truth they don't, as the majority of bunnies don't like to be picked up unless they are held securely, have kicks that may hurt a young child, and are sadly usually kept outdoors in a tiny hutch. They live for aprox 10 years and in my opinion require more work than a cat. ( I foster too for organizations so also have numerous cats and dogs as well.)

The hutch bunnies sadden me the most. Living out their lives in 4 by 4 cages or in most cases smaller. They need to redigest their droppings which act as natural antibiotics and many cages have hardware cloth (mesh) for flooring.They never know the joy of running on grass. They need excercise. Many live solitary lives when actually two bunnies make great companions - grooming and caring for each other. Often they lie side by side, heads and feet touching so they resemble giant hearts.

Finding a good vet that is experienced in rabbit health is a must as bunnies can't tolerate some drugs like cats and dogs do. Spaying and neutering is highly recommended.

For those of you seeking a rabbit, perhaps check out the local shelters or check online for rabbit rescues in your area.

For a number of years I've been hanging around the Café, I've observed most magicians value this tiny creatures life and take good care of their rabbits. After all size shouldn't matter. :O)

Chrystal
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Thank you Chrystal, for your thoughtful and compelling post. I agree with you about the domestic bunny and it’s averment, it is just flat out unfair to keep them out in very hot or cold weather.

Because I have always had rabbits that I handled extensively from a very young age, I have never had to deal with one that did not like being picked up.

The first time I used a live rabbit in my show was at a school (classroom.) When I was done the show and cleaning up as the kids were leaving for lunch a little girl saw Wellington walking around my table. She asked if she could hold him and I let her sit with him as Wellington was great with being handled.

After a few minutes I noticed that the girl was crying as she held Wellington on her lap. I thought she may have been bitten. It turned out that she (an inner-city kid) had never been that close to a rabbit and was overwhelmed with love. I always used him with kid’s shows after that, no tricks, just appearing from a bunny box.

If a magician really notices the kids reaction from seeing a rabbit in a small close up show, he or she (the magician) will know the value to children in seeing a live rabbit.

If I decide (if my wife decides) that I can have a rabbit as a pet and to use in the few shows I now do, it will be from a shelter. Wellington passed away over a year ago and I still have not recovered from the loss.

Bob
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Bob,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your rabbit. I agree with you about how kids marvel at rabbits. My question to you (and whoever wants to answer), is whether you still let kids hold rabbits. I hold Mocha the Chocolate Dutch, and let the kids pet her hind quarters. She's a very domestic rabbit and comes to me for petting (but hates being held unless she has a 'floor'), but she's nipped at my younger daughter who used to chase her around (no more), and while they really cannot bite very hard at all (and don't really get many animal diseases like rabies), I'd hate to have some uptight mommy think my rabbit may be sickly and force me to take it for blood samples or worse . . .
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Bob,

I'm sorry about the loss of Wellington. He was lucky to have spent his life with you.

I think dogs, cats and bunnies are so unique in personalities that each one has to be judged individually whether they can be around kids. Some are more aloof while others seems to love being handled.

Only last week, I picked up a bunny from a woman who was fostering for our shelter. She said the bunny did not do well with her small son. True as he grunted when the child came near (rabbits grunt when highly annoyed). With me he was no problem so chances are this bunny wouldn't do very well around kids.

Yet a few months ago, a different bunny was showcased at a pet fair with thousands attending and seem to enjoy the pats from the crowd. Guess just like us they have their individual likes and dislikes.

Thanks for your post too Mumblemore, but only wanted to correct you on one thing. Your bunny probably was well socialized and only nipped your daughter. Much like well socialized dogs that will nip to warn but have bite inhibition and don't use full force with humans if they are well socialized. Bunnies have extremely sharp teeth and can do a lot of damage if they are agitated and use full force. The special needs bunnies I brought home - some have their noses missing from bites by other bunnies.
Chrystal
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
I acquired my male rabbit last June 2007. He's still with me now. Here's my share of observations.

1. he Suddenly flops to his side and sleeps. It is as if he's very comfortable, and safe when he does that, disregarding anything at bay. Bob gave me a book on rabbits, I treasure it deeply, and I know now why my rabbit behaves like that. ^^

2. Whenever I let him out of his house, he runs to me and lays at my side for a moment before he speeds off. It's as if he's asking for permission. So sweet.

3. I contradict those people whos ay rabbits are like, snob pets, unlike cats and dogs who need attention. It is because they are prey animals, they had to be always on guard, and though. But once they get really connected with you, you'd feel much much love than you'd get from any other pets.

COMPARISON

Dogs, to show affection, sit by you, lick you for a few times, and yes, they are really bestfriend material. It's as if they understand you. Rabbits, though only maintaining one expression (they don't smile like others, a slow blink to them is a smile for some pets), are very affectionate. They would lick you NON STOP (I find this adoring, and call me disgusting, but it helped my skin), would sniff on you (sniffing is their form of talking) and would just frolic around you.

They know how to play too. Dogs love fetch. Rabbits like tag. Me and Babbit (my rabbit) play tag. He runs when I make little, gentle thumping sound son the floor, then I tag his nose, which would make him it. He'd chase me after, then do the cutest 360 leap-run thing. When I don't chase him, he goes back to me, then coax me by just standing there. If I move a bit, he runs, fast. x_x

They could mingle with other pets. Rabbits are known to be accidentally the food of cats or dogs during incidences. Or, they could be compared to the rag a dog tosses when he's in frenzy... but proper acquaintanceship with other animals do wonders. My rabbit, when free, sleeps beside my cat and her kittens. She doesn't seem to mind. Babbit, however, loves to nip at her tail.

I adore it when he plays with his play toys. He lifts em using his teeth then throws them off. If he drops it, he'd do it again and try throwing it at his side. He wants his front clear.

Oh well, just sharing. sorry if I got carried away. rabbits are just too cute!

Oh, babbit has a mate now. her name is Oreo because she looks like an oreo cookie. Hee~
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Great post Cyssa! It sounds as if you've provided an excellent home to lucky bunnies!

I enjoyed reading your post and it's apparent you love them very much.

Chrystal
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Cyssa:
You show a really good sense of understanding about your rabbits behavior, and as Chrystal has observed, great caring for a very gently creature.

The flopping down on their side is demonstrating two things.
Rabbits are designed to always be upright (ready to get away) and the fact that your rabbit “flops on his side when you are there is a sign that he trusts the security of the averment enough to take that chance. Lying on there side with their hind feet stuck out is a vulnerable pose and shown great trust in the situation at hand.

The flopping action to get there is caused by their inability to “roll over” on their side. All their instincts tell them to stay upright (ready to run) and it is truly funny to see them fight the upright instinct and “flop” over.

This need to be upright is exemplified by the fact that if their head gets up-side-down, they go into a catatonic shock that is often misconstrued as being hypnotized.

Bob