The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: My new Manipulation Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
chrisgali
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of chrisgali
Hey!

here is my new and third video of card manipulation!

Some may`ve seen my other ones. This is my first full routine without editing or cutting!

I know there are some flashes but hope to get some words of encouragement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_4Hc1zKEs

Nice greets,

Chris
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I don't mean to sound too critical, but if you knew you had flashes why would you post it where anyone in the world could see it?

But since I did watch the video, I feel you have came a very long way, but you still have a way to go. My first problem was that it was too long. I would cut it in half. You do too many moves.

They may have taken you a long time to learn, but I would pick my favorites and cut out the rest of them. I also feel that you did too much hand washing. You also turned you back to the audience a couple of times. I would be careful of that because in most cases it excludes the audience. I would also work on my facial expressions. And my last negative comment is that your steals are very obvious, you need to come up with better misdirection.

But on the postive side I can tell you have worked a long time of your manipulations. And since you have worked so hard so far, there is no doubt in my mind that you will have a very good rountine soon.

Good Luck.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Nice routine but I think you need a big finish.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Chris:

You do beautiful work! Your routine really shows the hours and hours of practice you've put into it. If I were to list all the really nice things you're doing, this would be a very long post!

A couple of little bits of constructive criticism:

1. Try not to cover your face, if at all possible. There were a couple of things toward the beginning where your hands were going in front of your face. Sometimes, you may not be able to avoid it, however.

2. On this singles productions (from the BP position), they look good, but will look even better if you can produce each one with more "snap". That is, see if you produce them each one quicker, bringing it out of the BP position a little quicker.

I haven't done card manipulation for years, but when I did, I took private lessons from Dale Salwak of the Chavez school. That's one of the criticisms he had of my singles productions - I learned how to make them more "snappy" so that the audience was less aware of the BP. It really does make a difference.

Anyway, you are awesome, buddy! Keep up the excellent work - I know how much time and effort you've put into this.

Sincerely,

Ron
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Chris,
Nice work. It's refreshing to see a magician take it slow for a change. Ron's advice was on the nose.
Now that you've got the moves down develop a character.
Whenever you work to the side cheat your look out and open your body out a little.
If you wear a hat, the whole time, your face will be hidden in the shadows, especially on stage.
Cardini wore his hat high enough that it didn't matter, also he rarely looked down.
Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ0cnTjgc......on%20act

Notice his use of the stage. No strong finishes, just smooth transitions.
POOF!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Chris, I respect the technical work you put into the routine. Keep it up.

I also support Ron, kregg and Pond Wizard's views for your improvement.

May I suggest the change in music - it may not be suitable.

Keep working on it and you will reach the objective you desire for the routine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Clearly you are not practicing 2 hours every day, and viewing your video. With practice comes speed and continunity. I know it is hard to watch yourself, but you must do it to learn. Then adjust.

The hat does not fit the shirt. Try using it as a container to receive the cards, this may give a reason you wearing it.
stageonstreet
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of stageonstreet
Chris,

I took the time to look at your video and I think that it was well done! The move of your body from right to left looked good but I think that if you stood straighter you would get a better wow factor in the productions. Your techniques are good but your face is not yet convinced. What I mean is that you looked like you were very involved in execution and didn't look like you were enjoying the experience. Flashes, but you know where they are. All in all very good!
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Chris, no doubt about it you are technically sound but I think you are completely lacking personality. You need to create some type of character. At least smile! I showed my wife the video and she said “He’s good, but I’m not entertained, it’s boring.”

I’m not trying to bust your b@lls, you certainly got chops but you need to build on top of that. Forget about learning the next knuckle busting sleight and improve on the stage presence.