The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: WGMBTWGM The Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title:WGMBTWGM The Chop Cup
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up and parlour
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

This may be be my favorite of the Worlds Greatest Magic etc series of compilations put out by L & L. I always wanted a chop cup, still don’t have one, so I made up a cheapo version of one to practice the routines on this DVD. First off the production level is very good, what you would expect from L & L. The only exception is the Larry Jennings material which wasn’t shot for commercial release and it is still clear enough and comes from Larry Jennings: Private Lessons, and it is worth getting if still available. I don’t have any issues with the production quality at all. For you not familiar what L & L did was take the best routines under a general subject, in this case the Chop Cup, and compile them like a ‘greatest hits’ type DVD and release them at a very low cost. You may have some of this material already in video format, I had the Larry Jennings and Dan Tong, which actually is from the wonderful Finally! DVDs from Kozmo Magic., another set of DVDs that you may want to look at. I’ve always thought they should do this and, dog gone it, I was right, I love these DVDs.

The Chop Cup was developed in the early 1950s by a magician who went by the name Chop Chop. It is a gimmicked cup which can be used to perform some really cool magic. Don Allen was a major influence on most of the performers on this DVD, the exception being David Regal who marches to a different drummer, and you get to see Larry Jennings who was an influence on Jim Swain, who also appears on this DVD. If I was going to find one fault with the DVD it would be how it was laid out. I would have put David Regal last on the DVD rather than first. This is because his routine is so original and creative and different than the others it would be kind of cool to have it as a ‘gotcha’ after seeing the other material first. You will find all the routines to be solid, entertaining, and everything you could ask for. With the different performers you could pick and pull what you like and develop your own routine if you like. While all, except for Regal and to a lesser extend Gary Oullett, are similar they are also different from each other. Oh, I’m now looking for a set of cups, one chop, the other regular, or at least a nice chop cup, so if anyone has any leads on where to find ‘em please let me know.

My Best Friend by David Regal:

David Regal is a genius. I loved his books, I enjoyed the DVD’s I’ve seen of his, when I met him and didn’t know who he was I thought he was a very intelligent man and also one of the funniest guys I had met. His routine is excellent and different and I wish I alone had access to it. He uses a very unusual item for the routine, I don’t want to tip it because I want you to enjoy being hit with it if you get this DVD or the DVD set it was pulled from. Of all the routines this is the one I would most likely do. The timing, the way the patter matches movement, really a great example of a magic routine done right.

Chop Cup Routine by John Mendoza:
A very nice routine influenced by Don Allen. John is very good and explaining subtle moves and how it effects the presentations and he uses a soft load technique compared to others who do a hard load, this is a Don Allen move. I learned a lot about how to handle the objects and loads from the description here.

The Two Goblets by Gary Oullett:

As the description implies two cups are used. This is a very artistic and beautifully put together routine and Gary was really smooth in his handling. While Regal had the creative covered Oullett has the artistic covered. The instruction given is very good and should be watched closely. Gary explains more than what is done in the routine, this may be the four star contribution to the series.

Chop Cup by Danny Tong:

This is a very good routine courtesy of Kozmo magic and it is commercial, as are the others. The instructions are straight forward and while similar to other routines taught every magician has just a bit of a different view on things and handling differences. The value is seeing and pulling what works for you. Good routine, check out his other material.

Chop Cup by Steve Dacri:

Am I the only one that finds this fellow a bit off putting? Doesn’t matter. Steve delivers a solid if standard routine. Again the value here is in his different perspective than some of the others. For example while Mendoza goes with the soft load Steve goes with the heavy load of objects.

Jennings Chop Cup by Larry Jennings:

Excellent routine by one of the greatest magicians of all time. Where you have Mendoza and Dacri influenced by Don Allen we get to see Jennings work and he was an influence on others. This is a very good routine and it is a pleasure to watch a healthy and relaxed Larry Jennings work. I will say this, Larrys final loads are smoother than anyone elses, I mean he is working on silk baby!

The Chop Cup by Jim Swain:

Jim credits Larry Jennings for influencing him and this is clearly so. Jim is also influence by Don Allen and others and he developed a routine that works for him and it is a beautiful routine at that. He also goes over information others have different views on and this is well worth going over.

As I said I just loved this DVD. If you watch and listen you’ll walk away, after some practice, being a chop cup using type of person. The chop cup has that traditional magician vibe working for you as well as the interesting aspect that often the cups don’t look like magic props but just like cups found at an import store. The only thing missing was video of Don Allen himself, if it exist, doing the chop cup, but his spirit is present in the hands of these magicians. Best of show goes to David Regal for his creative routine. Another home run from L & L.