The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: What if... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
What if you could touch a flourescent tube or even an unplugged neon sign and have it flicker to life and light? What if you could ignite a piece of flash paper between your finger tips right under the spectators nose? What if you could borrow a business card pinch it in your hand and burn a tiny hole through it by touch as they watch...

I've got an idea that I know will let me do all 3 of these effects in one very clever discreet method... Where should I go from here? Any help would be infinetly appreciated.
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I know I for one would be very interested in something like that.

I once looked into the currently marketed version of the flourescent light bulb, but it was very pricey, and the methodology was limited and required something that really didn't fit my performance style.

So, if you can make this available without it costing an arm and a leg (and the method is practical), then I will be your first customer!!
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
549 Posts

Profile of martini
Wil, your next step is to price out materials from various suppliers and get a cost factor. Once you know your cost to manufacture, or if you can't make quanity, find someone who can and find out the costs involved, test fly a prototype to see how long the item will last, how durable it is, how safe it is to use, eliminate all chances of a liability claim, and then decide if you are going to market it yourself, or if you are going to go through a supplier.

Both avenues have their ups and downs, only you can decide which way is best for your needs. If you decide to market it yourself, you need to then decide if you are going to sell it direct (retail) or through the shops (wholesale). Based on that decision you may have to adjust your costs to profit factor.

If you decide to sell to the shops, you need to make contact with dealers who you feel would be interested in your product, then deal with each on an individual basis. Each dealer buys differently, very few order the same, then you have to deal with open accounts, collections, dropshipping, It can do well this route, but it is a lot of extra work, which is why many choose to just go through a distributor.

That gives you an idea of where to go next, if you need any help or have any questions, feel free to contact me, either by E-mail, PM, or you can give me a call and I'll walk you through whatever questions may arise.

All the Best
Marty
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I have done the Flourescent bulb as part of a science show, so there are a few methods for that one. As to the rest, it sounds good, but is it safe? What comes to mind for me is a method that has a clear need for some careful handling to avoid getting hurt, or hurting others.
It sounds interesting and doable though!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com