The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Silicone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Anyone know what the average life of a silicone ball is?

Anton
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
I've had mine (Dube) for about 7 years and they are still good as new...

Better actually, because after a short breaking in period, they develop a nice 'matte', grippy finish...

I will never be persuaded to think otherwise..>Dube is the Best<!!

Just my 2.5 cents!

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Niether my 2 1/2", or my 2 3/4" Dube silicone balls have shown any sign of ware after 15 years.

Professor Piper
Once at a juggling convention I tested Todd Smith, Fakini, and Dube 2 3/4" silicone balls head to head, the Dube balls had both brighter colors, and a higher bounce.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
When it comes to silicone my vote is for Pamela Andeson.

Kevin
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2007-07-18 07:59, Al Angello wrote:

Professor Piper
Once at a juggling convention I tested Todd Smith, Fakini, and Dube 2 3/4" silicone balls head to head, the Dube balls had both brighter colors, and a higher bounce.

Just more evidence that what I say is true!

Thanks Al for backing up my opinion about Dube...They are truly worth every penny you pay for them!

Plus, Brian is one heck of a nice guy to boot!

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
Yes - buy silicon.

I have had mine for seven years, and I expect it to outlive me.
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
One Man

stupid me, I just did a search for Pamela Andeson juggling. LOL
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
WOW
Is Pamela Anderson juggling on youtube to what?
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
I have 3 from PropWorks and they are good
(but I really don't do this as an act I just play around with them)
Larry
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Wow feedback sounds great! I am going to purchase a sety of white ones (7 of them probably) anyone own any white silicone balls? How does the color hold up?

Anton
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
I meant to put that in my post.
Mine are white (4 of them) that still look like the day I got them I little soap and water always worked (or a baby wipe) I have played /used them a lot all over the place trying different floors (and some of them not so clean).
Just,
Larry
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Silicone is amazing. the hand sticks for my fire devil sticks are covered with it and baby wipes clean them right up. when busking I do many shows a day and at least one set is white.

I have herd roomer that sharpy markers don't stick, would not try it tho. I'll try it on my hand sticks, let ya know.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
Mine is white too. If you drop them on concrete they suck up the dirt. You just have to spit on it and rub it on your pants, but it still and pain. Dirt is the only problem with silicon. I dropped mine underneath my car seat for a few hours and it came out wearing a sweater.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Just recived my 7 new white sillicone balls. I LOVE THEM. So happy with the look feel and performance. Great investment.

Anton
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
Good job. I know how painful for the wallet that must be. I just bought owen rings yesterday. Now, hopefully, we have some life long friends.
Frisbee
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
2 Posts

Profile of Frisbee
Silicone balls will last indefinately if you are performing on a flat perfect surface all the time...if you are doing street performing or working on less than perfect surfaces they will get nicked and chipped and eventually have the potential to break in half...

Silicones are the best to buy and the color will stay even the white ones will retain their look.

Prop Works are good (what I am using now), however, I feel that Dube does make a better bounce with their silicone.

Do not keep fuel or oils near your silicones, if this gets on your silicones it will ruin them. Oils and fuels will stain and break down the silicone, this is true with all silicone props.

even if there is no fuel left on your torches or fire props and that soot gets on the prop, it may stain it and not come off...I have a set of yellow ones which are now a marble look due to this and no matter how much a clean them they are soiled and also the surface has a harder and slippery feel to them.

One secret to Silicones. When you get them and to clean them, use baby wipes.
this will help to break in that velvety patina quicker and also adds a softness to the feel of the silicones if used from the beginning when they still have that glossy look.
you can get the travel size in that little plastic case and keep it in your prop trunk to be able to clean them regularly.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Frisbee
Let me be the first to welcome you to the magic Café. Good point silicone balls should always be kept in a seperate bag.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
That is a good point and Im almost positive that was not mentioned in the dube "info sheet" that came with my balls.

Anton
fingerflinger
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
57 Posts

Profile of fingerflinger
I am still using silicone multiplying billiard balls from 1980, and juggling silicone juggling balls from 1988...
Yes, they can be a lifetime investment...