The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Review of Nabil's DVD "Link" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ed Garcia
View Profile
New user
Lindenhurst, IL
35 Posts

Profile of Ed Garcia
I posted something like this on a similar thread, so I'll say it here, too. I just got done watching it and it's a wonderful DVD. As someone else said, Nabil feels more like your friend showing you a trick as opposed to someone just going through the motions. I look forward to any more that he plans on putting out there.

BTW, to answer an earlier question, yes, the rubberbands for the effect in the demo can be inspected before and after the trick. It's not just something to get you to buy the DVD, it's 100% true. Give it a look.

-Ed
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Fantastic DVD. The Crazy Man's Handcuff Bible if you can say.

I just have one suggestion and that is to manufacture and sell the special gimmick for Link. I went to a couple of stores to get the material and they don't sell it. The materials to coat it are a little tough to find as well. Is anyone thinking of commercially manufacturing the gimmick? I would gladly pay for one.
sman
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of sman
I received mine yesterday and stayed up late to go through it. I went out to WalMart and got the gun item and then to hobby shop for the other item. Not difficult at all to find. Really enjoyed the entire DVD and learned a lot. I have used linking rubber bands for a while now - the Slydini version and can say you really know how to reduce the amount of mis-direction. You communicate the various methods so anyone could understand. Really great stuff.

Skip
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks guys. Regarding making the gimmick commercially, that was suggested but I decided against it for a couple reasons. First of all, if I'm going to make it, then it should be included in the dvd. Secondly, doing so would unreasonably raise the price of the item by the time it gets to you through the shops. Since most guys I figured would get the most use out of the ungimmicked, commercial stuff, I decided to try and keep the price down and just give all the information of how to do it yourself.

I've recently been told that this may basically the same gimmick as something put out by Harkey called Lynx. But no one who has both my dvd and the Harkey gimmick has weighed in yet. If so, you could buy the gimmick from him and just modify it as necessary to fit your prefered design from the dvd. I'm still waiting to receive the item, and will get back to you if no one else gets both first and weighs in.

Otherwise, if you really can't find the stuff, try this:
Buy two of "The Impromptu Linking Coathangers" by Mike Caveney. Keep one and use it as its a great effect that you can't do with my gimmick. Take the other one and modify it to match my design. Its a little "big" or "thicker" then you need for the effects on Link!, but if you treat it with the chemical, then you can get away with it anyways, even in closeup.

Hope that helps. Smile
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Just wanted to say your premiere teaching dvd is a total success. I enjoyed it very much! Great teaching, great angles, lots of useful methods. It has extended my CMH into an entire routine. Please do let us know if the "Lynx" gimmick is viable for the effect as I would like to use it, but I am also having trouble finding the proper gimmick.
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks Newb2. Shooting all the physical explanations from over the shoulder and using 2 different colored bands for clarity were Tim Trono ideas. Both things make learning easier, wouldn't you say?

A few people have had the same difficulty as you. I'll PM you with a unique and much more reliable source that was independantly discovered by a few of the Café members. Anyone else having trouble with that, please PM or email me and I'll send you the info.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I recieved this yesterday and I have to applaud you on such a fantastic product!
Your teaching style is great and fun to watch, and the dvd is choc full of brilliant material.
For those few who have dismissed CMH, this will change your mind!
For the rest who already perform CMH, this will take it to a whole other level!!
Excellent.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
I eventually managed to place an order for my copy today. Hofully it should arrive next week. I can't wait to watch and learn it.

I see if I get time and I will write up a review for it (or is there a review of it in the Café already)?

Hey Nabil, if I get any problems can I PM you as well?

Thanks

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks! Yes, of course anybody can PM or email me. No problem. Just no spam please!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Wow, never seen that many variations on Band-It! in my life! LoL. The work on CMH is phenomenal. Not as varied as the stuff on Dan Harlan's and Joe's tapes but then again, Link! isn't really a rubberband video, it's a CMH video. Excellent work, great crediting, clever gimmick, and just so much for so many different styles and personalities to perform CMH.

Sleightly Steve
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Just received my copy of Link! WOW!!!!!!!

First off Nabil left nothing out, he is very personable and goes over everything with a great attention to detail. Considering this is his first DVD I must say it is well done and beyond anything I would expect from someones first release.

The material has already been talked about, however the stuff that Mr. Michaels and Dave Womach added was a highlight for me. There is so much information on this DVD I am having challenges writing a real review. LOL I can say this much it is one of the best DVDs I have seen in a long time, well worth the asking price and a lot of information at that price.

The only complaint I have is the layout of the menus is insane. LOL There are so many chapters so going through each thing one at a time would be time consuming. Then again I don't really think that is a complaint because it is such a long DVD. Most movies are shorter than this instructional. LOL

The material is well thought out and well planned, the quality is good(not perfect) but as I said with a first DVD I was very surprised at how good it was.

I will write a real review in the next few days after I digest everything from the DVD. Until then it gets a very high rating and I would recommend this to anyone!

Great Job Nabil!
Alan Patrick
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Alan Patrick
Nabil excellent work! I received my copy last night and everything was just top notch! great tips and it was just the material I was looking for...i havent made the gimmick yet but everything was just amazing. CMH is my favorite effect and with this my routine is going to be just killer!

Thanks again

Teamgreen Smile
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks guys! Your feedback is appreciated. I'll try to utilize them in my next one. Here is a review that I liked alot: http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/080507link.htm

And a really long, detailed (just like the DVD, LOL) review: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&20