The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Advice on opening an internet based magic shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Hi guys,

I am considering opening a website to showcase my magic; and possibly selling some original magic effects, inventions and supplies.

Can anyone offer me advice on a system like paypal? From browsing the Café it seems to be quite popular.

I am in South Africa which is why I am keen on the internet idea to make my products available internationally. I hope my ideas will be a valuable addition to the magic community.

Many thanks,
ric
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Pay Pal is probably your best bet for international orders. Shipping will be expensive.
Dennis Michael
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Hmmmmm... I just looked into paypal.
It isn't available for South Africa yet.
Oh well, I'll do some research into international money transfers.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
You might want to check out a company called CDsteet.com. They specialize in band merchandise. But what they really do is process credit card orders. They're really nice, and I bet they would work with you.

You can self-ship, and they send you a monthly check (I've never missed one). They handle all of the internet programming. You can cut & paste html for a shopping cart right onto your site. And they take a really small percentage compared to other internet sites (ie Amazon).

Speaking of which, Amazon.com has a program where you can sell things with their help. Check them out.

Let us know what you find.

Troy Roark
Peter695
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Peter695
A friend and colleague of mine works in South Africa building web sites. Not that anyone is asking, but just so you know he doesn't discount his work. He's good and is fair in what he charges. PM me if you want his email address.

Of late, I swing by here every couple of weeks, so it may take me a bit of time to respond to you.

You might also try a "third party" processor. That is a company which charges you a fee to process your paper.

Peter
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Good luck on the shop! I helped our theatre develop a complex net-based ticket sales system...kind of a friendly ticketmaster critter. You may want to go ahead and bite the bullet and get set up with your bank to take the credit cards over secure server. Frankly many are frustrated and turned off by PayPal and other similar set-ups. Remember, anything that is an obstacle between you and selling your product to a customer is to be avoided at all costs.
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.