The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Magicians buried in New York City (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Me and some buddies are going to spend a day soon visiting and paying our respects to mentalists/magicians buried in and around NYC.

I have already been to Houdini (and Bess upstate), Alexander Herrmann and Signor Blitz (whom I believe I was the first to rediscover in the 1980s).

Anyone know of any others we might visit such as Al Baker, etc?

Thanks,
Bobby
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I would guess De Biere, Scarne and Dunninger are less than 5 miles away from NYC in NJ.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might take a map and a camera with you and take snapshots of the graves as well as pinpoint the locations on the map. It would make a nice guidebook or a web-site information space for future generations to follow.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Hmm, these are just guesses, but, Al Flosso, Slydini, Louis Tannen?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Thanks everyone for the info. I believe that Flosso is buried in Uniondale, Long Island and Slydini is in NJ. Will keep looking.

If any others occur to you, please let me know!

Thanks,
Bobby
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
You said Bess (upstate). Where is she?

And BTW, a few years ago we were in NYC and Donna wanted to take me to Macpelah (sp?) Cemetery to visit Houdini, but the place was closed "for security reasons," and you needed to make an appointment. Do you know if that's still the case?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Tampa is buried in NJ about 10 miles from the Outerbridge Crossing. Al Flosso is probably buried in NY as is Lou Tannen. If you pull up their obits it will probably tell you where.
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Bess is buried in "Gate of Heaven" cemetery in Valhalla, N.Y. Will check in on the security issue for Houdini - as I remember he is very close to the gate on the highway and you can almost see him from the road.

Bobby
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
The Great Black Herman (Benjamin Rucker), one of the greatest black magicians in American history, is buried at the Woodlawn Cemetery.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks, Bobby. I never knew Bess wasn't w/ Harry. We lived in Albany up until '03 and occasionally went down to Hyde Park or Hudson, so a little extra jaunt would have been fun.

Actually, I spent a lot of time in Poughkeepsie some years back on an architectural project, so I could have taken a detour then too. Oh, well.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
I never knew Bess wasn't w/ Harry

My understanding is that the reason she was not buried with Houdini, despite him buying plots for both of them, was because it was a Jewish cemetary. Bess, being a Catholic, could not be buried next to her husband.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!