The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: E Bay search title for books, lecture notes. Please help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Everyone,

Some time ago, I read in the Café a reference to a specific search title to use on Ebay when trying to find books, lecture notes etc. directly relevant to magic. I've tried all the most obvious phraseology in terms of searches but to no avail.

Can anyone help? As always, many thanks.

Lester
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Lester,

Try searching the 'collectibles' area on Ebay. There is a magic book and lecture note section there.

Happy Hunting ............... Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Kevin,
Be careful the Magic Café frowns on direct links to E-Bay, why I do not know but I have been reprimanded twice for a link to E-Bay..Maybe someone will read this and explain it, as I don't get it.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The reasons the Café frowns on direct links to eBay are multiple. One is that ebay links die within 30 days or so. Another is that there is the very likely possibility of fraud.

You have to be very circumspect about how you handle references to eBay.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2007-07-02 12:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
The reasons the Café frowns on direct links to eBay are multiple. One is that ebay links die within 30 days or so. Another is that there is the very likely possibility of fraud.

You have to be very circumspect about how you handle references to eBay.

Bill,
What I never understood was, if someone is looking for a particular book or trick and someone saw it on E-Bay, what is wrong with telling that person "hey, It's on E-Bay and ending in 2 days". You know "Magicians Helping Magicians".
As for the item being fraudulent or a rip-off, that goes on everywhere, including the Café..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi All,

Many thanks Rennie,Kevin and Bill for all your help and input.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
As far as Lester's question goes. Does anyone know the different methods for searching. I'll give an example using David Copperfield since his search always picks up Dickens as well. Search Box --->

Copperfield -(charles,dickens,blaine,exposed,fields,character,characters)

I did not come up with that one, but it works (credit to Tony Ko), I would love to know the workings so I can narrow searchs or even find things that are listed differently and would not come up using the typical search.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Banester,
The search you showed works fine. Here's an example of one I use to eliminate garbage I'm not interested in seeing when I do a search for:

magician video -(briefcase, paintball, nokia, playstation, wiggles, download, "650 tricks", "magic rain", yu-gi, Maburaho, "Lord of Illusions", highlander, "The Sword in the Stone", pokemon, conan, jurassic, caligari, blaue, zelda, excalibur, "anthony hopkins", cleopatra, bubblehead, hunchback, coppelia, "7th voyage")

This search will find anything with magic, magician, video in the title or description but exclude anything between the ().

You'll notice the double quotes "" used - it's needed whenever more than one word description or phrase needs to be eliminated. How I get such a long elimination is because over time, whenever I see something showing up repeatedly that I want to get rid of I add it to the -(....) so it just keeps growing but my results keep shrinking to what I really want to see.

Do be careful of what you eliminate - you may eliminate more than you want -
example - if you just used sword instead of "The Sword in the Stone" you would eliminate any auctions with the word sword such as a video showing the sword thru neck illusion or anything else mentioning a sword. But sometimes no matter how careful you are you will still eliminate something you didn't want to.

Hope this helps....

Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-07-04 18:51, Rennie wrote:

Bill,
What I never understood was, if someone is looking for a particular book or trick and someone saw it on E-Bay, what is wrong with telling that person "hey, It's on E-Bay and ending in 2 days". You know "Magicians Helping Magicians".

Send the information to them in a private message. I don't think there would be a problem with that. I don't run the Café, that's up to Steve and his volunteers. I think that the fact that listings disappear fairly rapidly is one of the chief reasons that the eBay listings are prohibited.

It's not ours to question. After all, it's in the sign up rules.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com