The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of Young Magicians! :: Got 1 more problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bayman89
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of bayman89
So, everyone says not to show to same person the same trick twice. I agree. But then if you have small family and only one friend that lives near you how do you know you have perfected it?
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Well for me, my mom has seen my tricks a million times. They mean the people you are performing for, not if you are asking your mom or dad to critique your performance. It means if you were out showing tricks to some random guy, and he's like, "Do that again!" Don't.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Great advice Magicman226.

Mark. Smile
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I have a small family, so I don't have a lot of options either when it comes to trying out new stuff at home. I practice a lot in front of mirrors. I took three pieces of 12" mirror tile I bought at Home Depot and taped them together to form a three sided mirror so I can see my hands from the front and both sides. When I have gotten to the point where I feel I am doing a pretty good job with the new trick, then I hook my video camera and shoot video of myself performing, usually from different angles.
When I feel like I am finally comfortable with the trick, then I start performing it in public for my friends and the people I work with. If you are looking for some places to perform where your audience is more forgiving if you make mistakes, try doing some volunteer shows at a local nursing home. The folks who live there LOVE it when someone comes to visit, and they really love it when someone entertains them ! Be sure to call or talk to the home manager first, and make sure it is OK with them. Let them pick a time for you to come. If you do a good enough job, they will probably ask you back for more shows !

GOOD LUCK !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster