The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of Young Magicians! :: So this is for young magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bayman89
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of bayman89
So I am realy young like I am 12 I love magic so much problom is for sleight of hand tricks my hands are allways to small any tips!

Oh ya and is there a magic college in tx.

is there a magic club neer denton
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yes, keep practicing, as you grow you will find it getting easier. With cards sometimes younger people need to use bridge cards. Coins , just use smaller denomination coins. Sponge balls come in all sizes, you should be able to find some in a size that works for you.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
bayman89
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of bayman89
Thnx but now I have 1 more questian
still is there a magic college in tx
is there a magic club in or near denton
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I know there is a Young Magicians Society in Dallas as well as the Dallas Magic Clubs. I'm a member of the Dallas Magic Clubs, it's site is http://www.dallasmagic.org
There is no "college" per say in Texas but many experienced magicians who teach magic. There is a brick and mortar magic store that recently opened in either Frico or McKinney, can't remember shich. They may offer instruction. Most brick and mortar stores do. I teach classes for one in El Paso. The Dallas-Ft. Worth area has many magicians. Get in touch with either the Dallas club or the Young Magician's society associated with it and I'm sure they can direct you to a good teacher in the area.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I was recently in the Dallas area (Allen,TX) for my niece's wedding. I got to see several great performers, among which was a guy named Chris Lyle. He works at Crystal's Pizza in Irving. I HIGLY recommend that you go there for dinner and see him work. We spent a wonderful evening with him. He spent a great deal of time talking with my son (an aspiring magician), and even showed him some card tricks. I was also lucky enough to have the time to go to the Magic Store in Ft. Worth as well, and so glad I did ! The guy behind the counter was not only really helpful to me, but I watched as he helped a couple of young girls trying to decide what they wanted to purchase. He is great with beginners.

Good luck !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
(Resident of Denton, TX for a year in 1984 !)
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I remember reading a story - I believe it was in the Henry Hay book, about T. Nelson Downs and how he was one of the greatest coin manipulator but had very small hands. Your skill is only limited by the amount of time and practice you put into it!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Mark,

Thanks for the kind words about my act. I had a lot of fun that night with you and your son and wish you both the best of luck with your seperate/combined Magic Careers.

Bayman89...having small hands is a fact of life. More Magicians have small hands than have large ones. You don't need large hands to be successful in magic. I would stick with using Poker Size cards and 1/2 Dollars for your coin work. It will only make you better later on in life if you get use to using the standard size props.

There's not a college per say in DFW but if you're interested in improving your skills, then you should come to The Knights of Sleight meeting held every Monday Night at the Bennigans next to 6 Flags in Arlington. It's free and open to anyone who has an interest in Sleight of Hand Magic. We usually have anywhere from 10 - 40 people show up to session. Bring your cards and coins, and get ready to learn. Lots of fresh ideas expressed there.

Best of luck to you....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!