The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Doves Sluggish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Recently I moved my Doves to the outside, Garage area, and over few weeks have noticied they are becoming sluggish, and at times are not holding on as well with there claws. Also there flying is off. Any ideas.

Thanks you.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
It may just be the heat that they are not used to, or the mugginess of the outside. If they have been used to being inside, it could be the drastic change. It may take a little while, but just make sure they do have some flowing air from someplace. Not a draft that is on them, but rather just some type of moving air. They are like people in a sense, if its hot outside, we slow down and get sluggish because to move too much is uncomfortable and sweaty, and we would rather be in a cooler place, or go to the pool or beach. Also place some cool water in the bowls and let them play in it, or have a mist of cool water in a spray bottle and spray them. They will love it and lift their wings to feel the cool mist on them. Also, if they are in the garage, try to make sure there is no direct sunlight on them. This too can be uncomfortable. Heat is draining and can make animals lazy, so this may be the cause.
Hope that helps some.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thomas is right. My doves live in the garage and right now, when it's in the 90's outside, they just sort of sit there motionless except for an occassional wing flap. I can hold them in the garage with no problem, but as soon as I take them into my basement for some practice, it's like the vitamins just kicked in and they get real active.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Heat is certainly a factor. However, doves have "quiet time" anyway. It will take a while too to get brave in a new spot.

If you are really worried, leave the light on during the night. If it is noisy, they are OK. (Even if you can't sleep! LOL)

My doves actually live outside 24/7. Behavior for "showtime" is just different. (That's true for playing in the water too!) They even like watching the grass getting cut. I think moving the water hose builds expectations.

Incidentally, my wife Lucy is a physician but used to teach biology at college. She says that the doves need sun light. Their feathers produce certain vitamins they need. (I am a ranch raised cowboy too dumb to know. But we do know that most animals do better outdoors. Don't try bears indoors! It's down right noisy. It takes most of the day to get one into an invisible harness. You'll probably need makeup for the show too. I never could get one to stay on it's perch.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- You can buy perches with sandpaper on them. It helps control claw length too.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Thank you all.