The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: PK ring :-( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
totalmagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of totalmagic
Just as a little warning to all of you so you don't make the same mistake as me. If you drop you Pk ring on a hard surface such as cement it will brake in half. They are not made very strong. The first day I got my ring I was not use to having it on, so I was playing with it and dropped it in Wal-Mart on the floor. It split into two halves. Now don't get me wrong, I still think PK rings are great I just wanted to warn you not to take any chance of dropping one.
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
The Dark Woods of New England
795 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
I broke a PK magnet in the magic shop once. . . that sucked.
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Was it a Black's? I'm pretty sure they'll replace it free, no questions asked. I don't know if Wizard or SuperMagnetMan will replace broken rings or not.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
erodoeht
View Profile
New user
Adelaide, South Australia
45 Posts

Profile of erodoeht
Well, try to take care of your things properly...
And secondly, always buy a spare if possible.
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
You guys need to remember, these are NOT rings! They are magnets shaped like a ring! Just keep that in mind and have a couple of spares. I broke mine doing a performance of the cups and balls. I have a move where I slap the top of the cups and the ring goes flying! It went over well...lol
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I think Wizard also guarantee a replacement.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Yeah well I bought a wizard PK ring and I only keep in in my coin purse and take it out when I use it. I never droped it, and pretty much only use it for Prohibition. There is a huge crack across the ring, although the ring still is one piece. So just how careful do you have to be??? I hope they will replace this ring because I specifically bought this ring to have the original to be fair, and was very much thinking to buy 2 or 3 from magnetman.. which I heard are stronger as in they don't break when the wind blows.....

Stevie D
-Stevie D
daniel_lachman
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of daniel_lachman
I didn't know magnets could split in half, but I guess the rings are just fragile. Good luck replacing it (hopefully they won't charge you anything).

-Daniel
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
That's why the inexpensive rings that SuperMagnetMan sells make the most sense to me. You can buy several for the same price as ONE Wizard or Black's ring. If one breaks, just grab one of your spares. Why would anyone want to go through the hassle of sending it back and waiting?
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
175 Posts

Profile of Pathian
Quote:
On 2007-06-20 22:05, dantheman2192 wrote:
I didn't know magnets could split in half, but I guess the rings are just fragile. Good luck replacing it (hopefully they won't charge you anything).

-Daniel

It's not the rings specifically that are fragile. magnets are that way in general.

Most normal rings are made of metal, which is hard but malleable. So its tendency when it takes shock is to bend, not break.

Most PK rings are neodymium magnets, which mostly metal elementally, behave more like a mineral, hard but brittle. All common magnets lack a significant ability to dent or bend, so if you apply a shock to them, they'll crack or shatter.