The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Jail Cell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am about to start work on a jail cell. This will be a box probably 3x3 base and top, and maybe 4 feet tall. My question for you guys is what is the best way to attach the 4 sides (Frames with bars)such that the thing can be easily broken down into six flat pieces. (Not counting wheels on the bottom) Any and all opinions and experiences are welcome.

I would also welcome ideas on how to paint it that will give it a dark iron bar sort of quality and make it look more formidable than it is.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Ah, the Paris Hilton Illusion... Very good choice!

Are you doing the cell walls AND bars? Or is it cell bars all the way around?

Use Cast Iron Paint for the bars. It'll look like the real deal!

Cast Iron Paint:
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.39.657

Fleckstone makes some really realistic stone textured paint for the walls:
http://www.robscott.com/fleckmain.htm

Lyndel
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Mostly it will be bars, but there will be a solid area surrounding the lock. I will probably build simple frames and use a fostner bit to entrench the bars into the top and bottom section. Then glue them in place.

Thanks for the painting tip.
Magic is like Science,
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Sounds like the simplest way of fixing it together would be using pin hinges - an ordinary butt hinge with the pin removed and a smaller diameter loose pin in it's place. Probably an old-fashioned method now, maybe someone can suggest something else?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I still use the old reliable removable pin hinge myself when I want my larger stuff to come apart, but be held together securely when in operation. I've used them on smaller box illusions like a doll house, and on 8 foot high scenery flats, with equal success.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a pin hinge defeat the purpose of an examinable excape cell? I'm thinking bolting it together would be best.....my humble opinion!

Adam
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Hmmm, Cliff didn't actually indicate that this was an escape effect that he's working on...

Lyndel
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It is an escape effect, and the point of the cell is that I must defeat a lock I cannot see and can barely reach to make the escape. I would like to avoid hinge technology in favor of a more formidable look, but I am worried about the effect of bolting and unbolting every time I want to perform. There has to be a way to do this that is secure, but will not weaken with each use. I would like to invite a spectator into the cell for an examination and a little shake of the bars before the stunt.

Sorry I wasn't more clear before.
Magic is like Science,
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
You might have a look at some of the knock-down hardware available at Rockler or any of the larger woodworking stores.